Un-Boxing Video of Thomas's Boulder Mountain Set

14 Replies, 9804 Views

Un-Boxing  and running Video of the Plarail Thomas's Boulder Mountain Set

WHAAAAT!..........You Have to put Stickers on Thomas?.....Whats up with that?
Besides the front cab windows and rear lantern, aren't the factories already set up for paint on Thomas. That rear lantern sticker doesn't match as the blue is not the same. Why wouldn't that be a clear background sticker? Its also weird that they painted his front buffers but not the rears.

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(07-18-2019, 05:17 PM)Super Wrote: WHAAAAT!..........You Have to put Stickers on Thomas?.....Whats up with that?
I suppose it's cheaper to have the user put them on, on top of the greasy fingerprints from the initial handling, if the video is a guide. It all looks a bit Revolutionary to me (i.e. not a good thing). Like the green loops though.
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super
Agreed Dr Chris. If I were a big fan of these trains and Thomas, the first thing I would do is buy a new regular Thomas, take its shell with painted graphics and swap out the faces to have what it should have been like.

My first wonder when seeing the pictures of this set when first announced was if a child would have to chase down the boulder rolling around the room and if that how it worked how dangerous would that be if the boulder was left wherever and an innocent person walking in the room stepped on it, fell and was injured. By the looks of this video, which is the first I have seen showing the complete boulder travel, the ball is timed to end up within the green U-Turn circle.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
Our's shipped out today...
Not sure if I'll open it though.:/
I had planned on incorporating into the layout next to the Copper Mine set and FP Boulder Mountain set, as the tan scenery would add height to create quite a nice length of mountain ranges, but it looks like the ball actually flies off to the left in the first clip, (though it is not shown where the ball ends up) and any other scenery near this piece would be knocked over or disturbed if it doesn't end up inside of the green loop.
It is weird that it comes with stickers for Thomas, but even though it seems cheaper to do it that way, the blank "unstickered" version will end up being rare in time, and yet another variant to collect.
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes MuddyPoppins's post:
  • Super
I was curious as to what you thought of Thomas having buyer applied stickers in this set Muddy. How much cooler this set would have been if somehow the boulder could reset itself after every fall.
  • MuddyPoppins
Yes, it almost seems like a failed project that they produced anyway...I will bet it has a lower than acceptable success rate than Tomy's normal standards too.
It's kind of an ugly design, with a mishmosh of pieces, I especially don't like the baby blue square tunnel that doesn't seem to match the feel of the mountain at all...I do like the green roundabouts, and though I prefer the painted Tomy detailed Thomas versions over stickers,
I think this is the very first time Thomas has been released like this, ( Other than the Plarail expo Chirin in Tekoro Thomas version that comes with UAD's.) so I love it for its collectability.
  • Super
Ours arrived today...
It is a HUGE box!!
It's the standard sized Plarail 14 1/2" by 17 1/4" big box, except it's 8" deep instead of the standard 4"...Ginormous.
@ Super, so now that explains why the shipping was so expensive.
  • Super
(07-24-2019, 04:42 AM)Muddy Poppins Wrote: @ Super, so now that explains why the shipping was so expensive.

Has to be, and does it weigh a lot too?
  • MuddyPoppins
Yes very heavy.
  • Super
Well its good to know that they weren't gouging for the shipping and the size and weight were the actual determining factor. Are you going to leave it sealed?
  • MuddyPoppins