S scale Tomy Thomas?

15 Replies, 15627 Views

(10-10-2019, 08:12 PM)Nigels Wrote: I've never heard of 'S Scale', it looks about 'HO/OO Scale' apart from the comments about it potentially being AC powered (so not exactly one for the little ones I would guess Smile )
S scale is 1:64, so about halfway between OO/HO (1:87) and O (1:48). In the UK it is essentially a scratchbuilder's scale, it has never had any serious commercial support, but there are some commercial products and following in North America, Australia and New Zealand, particularly the narrow gauge variants.

In the simplest terms, AC powered rails as used by digital control (DCC) locos are in the order of about 20 VAC, and each DC loco will typically draw a current between 0.25 and 0.5 amps, so not so scary really.
Looking at the photos on my phone and without reading glasses, so I could be way off here....

The S gauge track looks really wide here compared to Thomas and the coaches. It’s still cool and that’s not a criticism but Plarail and Trackmaster trains are usually just a bit wider gauge than standard HO/16.5 mm.
the coaches are hollow inside so you can fit the any big items inside the shell. As for the thomas, the builder must cut a big hole on the thomas' chassis.
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
I saw a few of these listed on eBay probably more than a year ago now, converted to run on S scale with original boxes with a similar sticker, probably the same one. Not sure if I saved the auction pictures anywhere. I remember something with James being involved but also that there were a few auctions and one had the engine in the wrong box, so it could have been a Thomas or Percy that was being sold in a James box, not an S scale James conversion.
I have a website where I have been writing about and photographing many of the sets and pieces that I find interesting.
[Image: common-model-railroad-scales.jpg] [Image: Scale-photo.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator
There have been more than one attempt at making an S gauge Thomas, most notably this scratch built one modeled after the Lionel O scale version:

[Image: mceclip2.jpg]

It sure resembles an official product, but it isn't. It was built using an extensively modified Docksider chassis (coincidentally like the Strasburg Rail Road's powered Thomas), and it's easily the best of the few that have been made.

This one was made by converting the Schylling whistle using two Casey Jones (not Jr.) chassis and even has a smoke unit, also from a Casey Jones. The proportions are better since it's not a scaled down Lionel version, but it requires a coach/tender/caboose to pick up power since the wheels are plastic.

[Image: 091303_27.jpg]

Two were made using an ERTL pull back Thomas, but like the above require a piece of rolling stock to store the other components. One has an unaltered chassis underneath, the other still has the "frame style" ERTL coupling rods (and a custom Annie and Clarabel).

[Image: fullsizeoutput-da3_orig.jpeg]
[Image: 6910826951_143bd606ce_b.jpg]

Lastly, here's one that's "just" a repainted Docksider with a face and some added detail (looks more like Victor if anything).

[Image: thomas%20002.jpg]

At least they have proper wheels with coupling rods. The TOMY one is just a botch job that shouldn't have been sold for money. Since Bandai and Diapet engines are the same scale, I wonder if they could be converted as well.