Info on Real Life Train Cars

5 Replies, 7765 Views

Since most of every train and train cars Tomy/Plarail makes is based on a real life train, does anyone know what these cars do or are called? They are articulated and according to Wasinojinsei's video the middle (white load?) comes out and the front and rear articulated trucks connect for a shorter carriage. What are they??? Huh

[Image: persimmons_ca87_bz88-img600x400-14052815...9d2f63.jpg]

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • Gerisplarail1, Ucwepn
Interesting Huh
Dear Super here is your answer!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnabel_car
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gerisplarail1's post:
  • thehsvdude
Oh wow...thank you Gerisplarail1. You are a scholar with the knowledge of these trains. I had no idea that these particular freight haulers are all over the world including here in the States. I have never heard of them let alone seen one. I can't believe the details on this... " When empty, this car measures 231 ft 8 in (70.61 m) long; it can carry loads up to 113 ft 4 in (34.54 m) long." So with a maximum load this could get as long as 344 feet...wow and the tonnage of the car and load are massive. This is a monster and I would love to see one but I imagine they are only used in certain instances and are a rare site.

Hmmm...[Image: pondering-and-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif] If I bought one of these I wonder how long I could modify the white freight load and still run on the tracks? Or modify some other type of cargo to fit in there...Hmmm [Image: rubbing-hands-in-excitement-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • Gerisplarail1, HankAmericanEngine
yes I am sure in real life they are a rare sight! It is pretty neat that plarail produced one! I know in Japan they are used to transport transformers used in power stations, which is what I believe the Plarail Schnabel Car is transporting.
Link to another thread on the same subject.