Tomy/Tomica Buddha's Providence Play Set...How Much?

5 Replies, 4560 Views

Wow...Is this set really that rare and sought after to demand 300,000yen??? Its pretty old with the vintage yellow lettered Tomy and the boy & girl holding hands Logo, looks like a neat set. Could it have been a site specific, Limited Edition release possibly only available at the site of Buddha?

Tomy/Tomica Buddha's Providence Play Set
https://www.jauce.com/auction/w347527390

[Image: i-img1200x1200-157294532779cpee400539.jpg] [Image: i-img1200x1200-1572945327fhxjja400539.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • Finno, MuddyPoppins
The Katakana on the box is: トミカプレイセット, which definitely translates as "Tomica Play Set'.

The other writing on the box is: どうぶつえん, which is translated by Jauce as "Buddha's providence", but you should treat this with caution because....

Google Translate tells me that どうぶつえん is a Haragana transcription of 動物園 = Dōbu-tsuen = Animal Garden = Zoo, which seems a bit more likely to me!
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • Finno, Super
Ah...I see, thank you Dr Chris

Really, the only reference to Buddha (Buddha's Providence) really means like, All God's Creatures and this set probably only refers to a Zoo and not a Zoo at a place of worship.

I do like this set as I haven't seen it before and.....something I have not seen before is....the dual Branding with "Pepsi Cola" on the Food Truck. Have we ever seen a Pepsi logo on any Tomy/Plarail/Tomica? Lots of Coca Cola. I also really like the Restaurant building. I have to keep an eye out for one of these sets at a more reasonable price.
Wow, $2750-ish USD! What a bargain!

I’ll admit that if I were a single, childless middle age Japanese guy with a good salary and I worked 20 hours a day, 7 days week, I’d plunk down that kind of money to remind me of the few brief moments of happiness I experienced in childhood when I wasn’t in school or doing homework.

Otherwise, probably not! Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Finno
Looks like the Ivory hunters have been at the adult elephant so not exactly perfect for that money
[-] The following 2 users Like rekp's post:
  • Finno, Super
LOL. I didn't notice that Rekp. It is strange that the smaller (I assume young) elephant, has full grown husks.

Looking very, very closely at the picture of the back of the box showing the set displayed, it looks like the adult may have tusks but they are gray? Elephants must have evolved to camouflage their Tusks so the poachers leave them alone LOL.

[Image: i-img1200x1200-1572945327fhxjja400539.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Finno