Tomy Plarail Custom D51-200 and Small Christmas Sceen

12 Replies, 7876 Views

I know this is not like what I have done in the past but given that I have sold off most all of my collection this is just a quick fun run as I had done this custom some time back and just had not had the time or space to run it.  This train was a regular Plarail D51-200 Sound and Steam train which typically has the red light for the smoke stack but I swapped it out to be the white.  Also added is a headlamp.  :-)

https://youtu.be/goZQc5uiq9Q
[-] The following 6 users Like ripley802's post:
  • AOF04, chrisjo, Finno, MuddyPoppins, Off The Rails, Super
Oh...yes...the white smoke stack light is perfect. Shows the smoke so much better than a red light. I am curious as to how it looks in the light as opposed to the red.

So glad you have kept up your tradition of an Xmas layout Ripley. It looks great and I love the lighted green house. Did you have that before?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
Thanks Super. Actually I think purchased three of those greenhouses last year on clearance at Walmart. It was going to be in the large Christmas layout before I decided to downsize. I will try and get a short video of the steam in the light too. But I do like the look of the white vs red as well.
[-] The following 2 users Like ripley802's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super
That’s a great little layout and the Sound and Steam D51 is very cool!

This is pretty much what the kids and I are planning for our Christmas layout this year. A basic oval with Christmas village buildings from Walmart and Dollar Tree, poly fiber snow and bottle brush trees. Thanks for the inspiration to continue on with our family project!
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super
Very cool! Happy Holidays!! Yes, the white really is so much better!
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes MuddyPoppins's post:
  • Super
Looks awesome! Love the smoke and the white light.
Ripley

Was it hard swapping out the red for the white smoke stack light? Is it an LED? If so what volt and what brightness? Do I ask too many questions? Confused
Thanks all.

@Super, no problem, never too many questions. :-)

The red light I believe was an led, it has been probably 6mo or more since I looked at it. That said, it was a bit of a pain to get installed/swapped. I Installed a 3v GOW/GOR bulb as I think they have more of a realistic feel but since this train has 3 AA batteries the 4.5v was too much. I got it all put back together and then it blew the bulb. There may be some other options out there for that type of bulb but I ended up using a 5v led I believe and it seems to work fine. Other than that getting the tiny hole drilled for the led was a bit tricky. Given some of the work you have done with customs I think this is one you could for sure do as well. Let me know if I can help at all. Thanks
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
Was the LED a Daylight, Warm or Cool White in brightness or do you remember. Was it a light that had wires, built in resistor or one that had the metal posts and no resistor?
This one was a cool white led but I should have gone with the warm. It was one that I had to solder a resistor onto so it only had the metal posts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Super