Steam Along Thomas Coupling broken

37 Replies, 27652 Views

(11-21-2019, 06:04 AM)Super Wrote: The gear with the spring is the On/Off gear which moves and engages in and out with the switch movement

It could be that it's just a wiring connection problem, but i'm not sure how to fix the gears if that continues to be an issue.
If the motor is turning with power then I would assume its a gear issue. Did you test and closely inspect the axle gear which is the most common problem?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Unless I am mistaken the drive gear on the final output axle doesn't appear to be freespinning as is most common...
Take a look right here in the video, looks like it isn't slipping but runs when the wheel does to me.

[Image: Screenshot-20191122-002631-01.jpg]

You have to look close, but you can see two or three of the teeth in the little gap.
It looks to be stationary even when the motor is running unless you move the wheels by hand. I had similar symptoms with a post-'98 Japan Thomas recently, could get it to catch and run for maybe a full wheel rotation and it would usually catch but forcing it past the "clutch" two part gear that drives the axle would sometimes let it freewheel a short distance with gears engaged (switch on) but no battery. My guess is its this gear
[Image: IMG-20191122-001938-01.jpg]
Here's what the one out of the problematic gearbox looks like. Note the wider gap between teeth on the left side.
[Image: IMG-20191122-002017.jpg]
This is the gear you noticed doesn't connect with the previous worm gear - that's true, and lets the train freewheel when turned off, until pushing the on switch also pushes it into the geartrain (and is also how you can get engines to "idle"- pushing the switch just far enough to turn on the motor but not far enough to engage the gears, so the engine hums and sits in place).

Steam Along Thomas uses the standard Thomas/Percy type drive unit, so you could either swap gears from another engine with more issues or if you end up getting a second Steam Along for parts you could swap the whole drive unit.

Regardless, I think we've mostly ruled out electrical problems and its an issue with a cracked gear somewhere in Annie's drive unit.
I have a website where I have been writing about and photographing many of the sets and pieces that I find interesting.
[-] The following 3 users Like DuckGWR's post:
  • chrisjo, Finno, Super
Excellent diagnosis Dudck
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DuckGWR
Thank you so much Duckgwr! Great diagnosis, i'll be sure to replace the gear from another Thomas or Percy Smile
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2019, 01:12 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes gmeehanfilms's post:
  • DuckGWR
UPDATE: Found a Thomas in my box of trains for the replacement motor compartment! Just need to clean the compartment of hair and grease then put it into the steam along thomas!
[-] The following 3 users Like gmeehanfilms's post:
  • DuckGWR, Finno, Super
Thanks for the update Gmee. Hope it all works out in the end. Keep us informed.
Thanks Super! Cleaned the motor compartment and it runs really well. Just need to swap it out with the steam along thomas and resolder.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2019, 05:45 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 3 users Like gmeehanfilms's post:
  • DuckGWR, Finno, Super