$10 Plarail CRH2 knockoff set on Amazon.com - Review

24 Replies, 22199 Views

Found this a week ago:
https://www.amazon.com/COLORTREE-Battery...071ZH9J5X/

Decided to see what quality I'd get in a full set that's only $10.
Received it today and what follows is my opinion of it.

Plastic quality is lower than Tomy but not terrible.

Powered end car takes 2 AA batteries and has decent pulling power. It is not particularly fast. Does not free wheel.
Couplers are a bit odd. Both end cars have a loop coupler and one middle car has two hook couplers.
The one middle car loop coupler has a hook coupler style up-down mount so it could possibly be useful for a custom.

The suspension bridge also takes 2 AA batteries.
It has a button in the middle which when depressed by a train, activates flashing lights and a cheering sound.
I managed to break off one of the split snap pegs of the red top-middle part of the bridge when assembling.

Station is okay but rather plain with no decoration whatsoever.

Track is a color match for Tomy but shinier. Same goes for the risers.
The risers I tried are a VERY firm fit with each other and do not want to come apart again.

In conclusion I think its worth the price just don't expect Tomy/Trackmaster quality.
[-] The following 4 users Like brtrainz's post:
  • chrisjo, Finno, Off The Rails, Super
Thanks for your review Brt. That bridge is very interesting. Might you have some pictures and perhaps a video link showing it in action?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I'll see what I can do later.
[-] The following 1 user Likes brtrainz's post:
  • Super
Its OK Brt...I just managed to locate this video...

I really like that bridge!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
I do too but I think I would have to cut the speaker, ...lol. In the video it looks like the white suspension cables parts are rather flimsy and somewhat warped, is that what you find Brt?

[Image: Untitldeed.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Finno
There is some slight warping now that I look at it again but nowhere near that severe.
They are indeed somewhat flimsy however.
My bridges speaker is definitely getting it's wires cut.
[-] The following 2 users Like brtrainz's post:
  • Finno, Super
You are right Brt...you can't go wrong for $9.99 shipping included just to see that bridge....I ordered one, thanks for sharing.
Received my order today and as Knockoff sets go I am surprised with this one. First, Brt's review above is spot on.

The first thing I did upon opening the package and looking at the bridge (the reason I bought the set) was to cut the wires to the speaker as the sound of applause/cheers as a train passes over is not fitting with a train set unless there are doubts that the train will make it over the bridge. The lights still work and are neat. The second thing I did was take Brt's experience in putting the bridge together and used a rat tail round file to hone all the connector holes so everything will easily snap in and out for storage. The bridge alone is worth the price of the set.

The train itself is much better made than what we are use to finding in knockoff sets. No stickers as all the details are painted on. The coaches are a very close match to Plarail coaches in feel and looks. Like Brt states, the connectors are the same as Plarail but its the placement that is different. (see photo below). Nigel...does the special connector look familiar???

The train is somewhat slower as Brt explains which is odd to me since the engine takes 2 AA battery's. At first look I thought this was due to gearing but when I stripped the motor out its actually a slow motor. Speaking of stripping...because this was so inexpensive and my love of black wheels, I stripped all the wheels as they are matches for Plarail and I love collecting them for future customs or modifications.

Something else I am curious about is the manufacturer as there is no mention of it in or on the set. I am curious because of what it say on the box "Collect Them All" but I can't find anything else. Anyone have an idea? All I can find on the box is what may be a Trademark Logo (see photo below).

[Image: DSCN4205-1.jpg] [Image: DSCN4214-1.jpg] [Image: DSCN4220-1.jpg] [Image: DSCN4223-1.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • brtrainz
I remember seeing a T&F Version of that set (Knockoff, obviously).
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2020, 12:37 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes marclovestrainz's post:
  • Super