Benkei?

6 Replies, 4304 Views

[Image: 8-D27-FE56-1-BE4-414-D-A27-A-9-E84968-E59-DA.jpg]
So I found this lot on jauce with a benkei but i don’t know much about benkei, is it rare, hard to find? The whole lot was 28 dollars and one of the d51s had a metal gearbox instead of a plastic one.

[Image: AEAC1-D20-A6-F7-43-E0-8-B04-00-AF6-C870-A2-F.jpg]
This is the d51 with metal gearbox
If it ain't motorized I don't want it!       Cool Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2020, 12:03 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes gordonfan01's post:
  • Super
The original Benkei like the one in your picture is not that rare and even can be found with its original box. I love my Benkei but there is a problem with it and all the Plarail Western Steamers like it. They have a tendency for the gears to crack and some of us here have surmised that they may have used white plastic instead of a stronger neoprene. The gear box is quite different than all other Plarails and finding a source for some of the gears proves to be hard. Member Ripley really delved into these where he was trying to make a repair kit for the Western Steamers because of their tendency. Wonder if I can find that Thread where we talk about them. This all being said I love mine and all the little Western Steamers like it.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
Here is Ripleys helpful Thread https://blueplastictracks.com/showthread.php?tid=3006
(06-26-2020, 12:12 AM)Super Wrote: The original Benkei like the one in your picture

Correction: That is not the original Benkei. That is a reprint Benkei for Plarail Day in 1998. The original Benkei (front switch) is taller and is a phantom gem of Plarail as stated by the author of the Plarail Museum.

I have one of these Western Railroad type: Asphalt Island Shuppo. The gear cracked but it was an easy fix by super gluing the cracked gear in place, it runs smoothly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes violater's post:
  • Super
Of course you are right Vio, I should have worded that differently.

As far as the Super Glue repairs, I look at that as a last resort. I am glad that you got yours to work after the glued gear repair. I have glued a gear together with these which although worked for a period of time, another gear would crack from the strain. Mr Ripley was trying to come up with the ultimate solution for all these little wonders that may save many from the scrap heap.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • violater
The super glue solution only works when the gap of the crack is not wide enough to interfere with the gear tooth spacing. Judging from how Ripley and Super were experiencing those cracks, I think I'm one of those lucky cases.
[-] The following 1 user Likes violater's post:
  • Super
I've got a Benkei that was virtually new-in-box and has FIVE cracked gears in it.  Sad
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super