Identification Help Needed! *SOLVED*

7 Replies, 5603 Views

I was looking through my old stuff and found this Tomy branded trainset, does anyone know of its make and year?                                 [Image: 20200810-184256.jpg][Image: 20200810-184314.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like wonge15's post:
  • Mister No, Super
That looks very much to me of the Chinese Market releases but I am sure our experts have a better idea especially of the years.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • wonge15
Same, I wasnt even sure if it is genuine, but the motor unit looks similar to other trains of the same period. However, I couldn't find a real-life train that it was based on, but I am suspecting it to ke a KiHa 181 of sorts. (https://www.google.com/search?q=kiha+181...e&ie=UTF-8)
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2020, 12:28 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes wonge15's post:
  • Super
Yes it is the Kiha 181 and plarail released 3 different versions of it in Japan in real colors. The coloring on the ones you pictured makes me think of other China only releases as others had these type colors. You do see these pop up from time to time on the Japan auctions but I would think that they are in the hard to get a hold of type but I would like to hear from some of our experts on how collectable this really is.

Well lookie here...a video from Corolla. In the description he says if was released in the 90's in China.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • wonge15
Chinese Plarail, the phantom gems of Plarail manufactured in 1990s. It is distributed in Guangdong, and few units were brought into Japan by a specific collector. Very rare in today’s eyes.
Real name is "力獅2號"

[Image: t-syaryou12211.jpg]

Complete collection of single item Chinese Plarail are as follows. Image is taken in a collector's house.

[Image: Edr-INoy-Vo-AA5-Mj9.jpg]
[-] The following 4 users Like violater's post:
  • chrisjo, Mister No, Tharazero1, wonge15
Thank you Vio. There you have it Wonge...is that not a lot of info for ya?
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • violater, wonge15
Kiha 181 is a nice train, but these Chinese versions are so cute!  Heart
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mister No's post:
  • wonge15
Thank you for the great information everyone!
[-] The following 1 user Likes wonge15's post:
  • Super