"C" battery powered engines

15 Replies, 8755 Views

If these worked before you stored them and they weren't stored in a cardboard box directly onto a concrete floor I would think that shocking the motors with a 9 volt battery should break them free. I also use the handle of a screwdriver and smack the motor housing in several places with a battery installed and motor turned on works to but the 9volt method is my go to for stubborn motors
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
How do you hook up a 9V battery to a Plarail engine?
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 05:31 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fred_Pelhay's post:
  • Super
The nicest way to do it is to use a 9 volt battery connector like this and then hold the wire against the terminals (or if you're fancy make a dummy AA battery and put the 9 volt wires where the AA contacts would be, then you can leave it in a AA (and C cell if you wedge it right) battery slot without having to hold it)
[Image: 9-Volt-Battery-Snap-Connector-578.jpg]

Or, the cheaper don't have to try to find a 9 volt battery clip method is to take two bare metal paper clips and wrap them around the battery terminals, being careful not to short them together, then touch them against the engine's contacts. The slightly easier to control version is to wrap some spare lengths of wire if you have them around each battery terminal and then hold the other ends against the engine's contacts. The wire ought to be more flexable and easier to position how you want it, and you can make a fake AA to hold them like with the battery clip but you can't replace the 9 volt without untwisting the wires from both terminals.
I have a website where I have been writing about and photographing many of the sets and pieces that I find interesting.
[-] The following 4 users Like DuckGWR's post:
  • chrisjo, DalaGStanator, Super, Tharazero1
Thanks Duck
Your pictured 9volt adapter is what I have. You can also just use 2 pieces of wire, stripped on each end and with an old 9volt battery you don't care about, glue one end of each wire, one to the positive, one to the negative side of the battery and hold the other ends to the + & - of the trains terminals.

You only need a quick 'jolt' to bring it back to life just like a Doctor using a Defibrillator to jolt a stopped human heart would.
(10-05-2020, 05:30 AM)Super Wrote: You only need a quick 'jolt' to bring it back to life just like a Doctor using a Defibrillator...
This is what Thomas looks like when you try it on him.
[Image: image.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • DalaGStanator, DuckGWR, Super, Tharazero1
[Image: laughing-dog-smiley-emoticon.gif]