An Interesting Discolored Ffarquhar Station

16 Replies, 7550 Views

(10-20-2020, 07:18 AM)Super Wrote: @Chrisjo Do you still have that fantastic Custom Station you made out of 2 of these Ffarquhar buildings?

I do, and I got it out fairly recently to send to someone for whom I had sort of promised to make one (I hadn't forgotten, even though it was a worrying number of years ago; like I said at the time, 'don't hold your breath'!). But on re-appraisal I decided it wasn't quite good enough so I've started on another.

I can confirm that the window frames and doors do pop out fairly easily, but you might be surprised at how much variation there is in the brick colour, it's not that easy to find two out of the seven I have that are sufficiently similar to make a reasonably seamless custom. I note also that the exterior colour is not always exactly the same shade as the inside, presumably due to differential ageing, and in some lighting conditions the interior just looks brighter because it's smooth, shiny, and reflective.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
I love the work you did with that custom station Dr Chris. Any changes being made on the re-do?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I couldn't resist a mystery so I bought this station and...

I am baffled with a capital 'B' It isn't paint and because the coloring is so all around even and looking at the sharp lines under the roof I have got to believe that this is some kind of coloring and not something atmospheric. Its also very strange that the green plastic has not colored but yet because you can see that they must have been on when whatever happened because its original red under the sign and original tan under the bench seat. The parts have zero smell too.

See this in my hands my only conclusion guess is that this was factory because of the even color and the sharp edges between the two colors. I just don't know.

[Image: DSCN0762.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0763.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0766.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Mister No
In any case you got yourself a nice new station! Smile
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mister No's post:
  • Super
Well...I don't really need it but I see what you are saying. I am more interested if this is actually something released and if so where? I contacted the seller to see if I could get more information about but she didn't know anything.
Updated...continually being amazed at what caused this even colorization I originally thought that the green portions of the station were not affected by this at all. A side by side comparison proved me wrong. I the picture below you see the platforms bench seats of the discolored one and a regular station. The one on left is the affected one and we can see that it too has taken on the light tan like the rest of the station.

So, to me, it looks like the whole station was exposed to something that affected all the plastic but not the stickers. I am baffled at how perfectly  the color is all around the station almost like it was placed in a sealed chamber and something pumped in that changed it.

I still can't logically comprehend how it is perfect.

[Image: DSCN0797.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Mister No
So, someone exposed the station to something, but covered the stickers (with another sticker) before the process. My guess. Anyway, it's such a beautiful station. I can only imagine what my layout would look like if all my houses were exposed to that something... Smile
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mister No's post:
  • Super