Not the Christmas Village but....

12 Replies, 5358 Views

I’m still having trouble getting the landscape for the Christmas Village set up but meanwhile, my son Wes was inspired by a really early accidental Christmas gift to set up his own layout. He used Tomy Hiro and LBSC Thomas, along with Gen 1 Trackmaster Stephen. The new piece is the KF-08 Crane Car, which inspired him to set this all up. The buildings are mostly small scale Christmas Village items purchased from Dollar Tree and Walmart over the past few years. They scale well with most Plarail/Trackmaster trains and the snowy Maithwaite Station, which we plan to use on the larger layout.

[Image: 47-C3-FC9-A-3028-420-C-96-C2-954980112-DC5.jpg]

[Image: A35424-E8-832-C-4317-82-FF-1-D1-ADE8-D3923.jpg]

[Image: A727759-F-36-C7-4736-90-DD-BD5528-E731-F3.jpg]
[-] The following 5 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • bijomaru78, Mister No, MuddyPoppins, Super, Tharazero1
Those houses are looking great! Wes just needs some kind of a snowy base (white cardboard?) and some nice Christmas music, and Christmas is right around the corner!  Heart
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 2 users Like Mister No's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super
Even better, because he has inherited my dark sense of humor, he had the tornado from that Trackmaster set that was out a couple years ago set up in a cloud of fake snow (polyfil batting) and flying debris! We agreed that it was much more appropriate for the Christmas season here than the usual snow and cold temperatures.

I wish I was kidding but just as hurricane season winds down (we just had a Cat 2 roar through here last week), tornado season starts and runs from November to April.

At any rate, the actual Christmas display will incorporate most of the stuff you see here, as well as snow, a town Christmas tree and other wintry things.
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • Mister No, Super
Lovely! Waiting for the Christmas video! Smile
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mister No's post:
  • Super
Wow...did you add more Village buildings....I don't remember so many in past Layouts?

I like how Wes thinks Big Grin
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Yes, we added the four new buildings from Dollar Tree’s Cobblestone Corners and I bought an extra green house (which still has the tag on it in these pics). I got a bunch of the ceramic buildings from Walmart’s collection for this year (some of which are near copies of the plastic Dollar Tree buildings) and we also found three Dollar Tree buildings I bought in 2018 but couldn’t find last year.

Not seen yet are a bunch of bristle trees, some (oversized) street lamps, a large cobblestone sheet and a large water sheet, in addition to some (again, oversized) icicles I found at my local hipster antique mall this weekend.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2020, 06:41 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
(11-02-2020, 06:27 PM)Off The Rails Wrote:  local hipster antique mall

Card carrying member? Big Grin
I’m kinda old to be a hipster and I can’t squeeze into a pair of pencil leg pants!

It’s a fun place and the young couple who run it are nice, very hard working folks. I call it hipster because, back before COVID, it was a once a month “happening” with pop culture themed decor but otherwise similar to the antique malls/flea markets of old. It’s in an old warehouse building downtown, so that adds to the ambiance quite a bit. Heck, even my kids like it and my son, in particular, has gotten good at rooting out neat stuff for good prices.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2020, 10:31 AM by Super.)
(11-03-2020, 06:53 AM)Off The Rails Wrote: I’m kinda old to be a hipster and I can’t squeeze into a pair of pencil leg pants!

You are never too old OTR...

Quote: The original 'hipsters' were people who carried hip flasks during Prohibition.
(11-03-2020, 10:33 AM)Super Wrote: [quote="Off The Rails" pid='51483' dateline='1604386390']
I’m kinda old to be a hipster and I can’t squeeze into a pair of pencil leg pants!

You are never too old OTR...

Quote: The original 'hipsters' were people who carried hip flasks during Prohibition.
Well then, I’m totally a Hipster! Big Grin