My Tomica World - Introductions

64 Replies, 34381 Views

https://blueplastictracks.com/showthread.php?tid=4653

Well, in spite of being in the process of packing up my current layout, I did realise that as I pack all my trains and gear up, I could take photos of each one of my models, and create an ongoing series of posts, with the idea being to create a detailed guidebook here on BPT about each of the UK range of Tomica World models  Big Grin

Part 1, about the 'Virgin Train/Kintetsu 21000/'Hi-Speed Express' is now up on BPT, so I guess in the absence of a layout temporarily this does give me something to post about lol  Wink
Been building Plarail worlds since 2001; Building when I can in 2023 Cool
[-] The following 1 user Likes Plarail Man UK's post:
  • Super
[Image: image.png]

I'm not dead, just expanding the layout Wink

Signage, a mountain, a potential loop around the entire room, and a now-complete collection of exported Plarail models, or at least, all the ones ever released as Tomica World branded models...

Anyways, the move is complete so i'm gradually unpacking all my gear, and that includes the layout, so watch this space for the new [and hopefully improved] main layout, under construction...

[So yeah managed to score the C12 and 100 Series Shinkansen in the interim, go me  Big Grin ]
[-] The following 4 users Like Plarail Man UK's post:
  • chrisjo, Mister No, Super, Tharazero1
Good to hear you are not dead P-Man Smile
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Plarail Man UK
Well, I'm doing some layout planning anyway at the moment, seems like I might need to invest in a few of the 'Hypercity' clear tunnels or underground tunnel sections, that way I can run the lines under obstacles, like where my plushies are laid out and stuff; Kinda handy I got a couple more on the way from Ebay that came with the E4 series  E1 Series [hands in trainspotter badge] and they seem to be the most common new-old stock Hypercity items on Ebay anyway so sourcing plenty shouldn't be too tricky...

The question for me is how to route the line, whether to run along the edge of the room, behind my bed, or a hard right at my bed, a hard left at the hi-fi, then bridged sections across the stairwell opening, round the landing and back onto the main layout...

We'll see though, gotta get more boxes and work committments out of the way before I can begin building though ^_^ Won't be too long however, because believe me, the less time i'm without a layout, so much the better lol  Big Grin Can't wait to drive the new units soon  Wink

Also managed to get a plastic mountain for one corner of the layout; Ostensibly for Christmas decorating as it was with the christmas decorations in a local hardware superstore, but I took one look at it and could only see where it would fit into my layout  Tongue
  • Super
Looking forward to seeing a new Layout in your new room P-Man. Also anxious to take a look at the mountain you picked up.
  • Plarail Man UK
[Image: 20211104_141629.jpg?width=781&height=587]

Oh yes, it's big  Wink

[Image: 20211105_105857.jpg?width=440&height=586]

A stairway provided the ideal canvas for one of my more ambitious builds, even though there's no layout [as yet] for it to be connected to Cool

Let's just hope I actually have time this weekend to begin, even slightly, assembling my layout haha  Big Grin
  • Mister No
Wow, I can't wait to see the finished layout. Looks like its going to be AWESOME! Smile

How did you attach it to the wall and hold up the lower rail?
  • Plarail Man UK
Well, it took a lot of working out, but it's all been achieved with 3M Command poster strips and plastic hooks Big Grin

I've used Command strips for years, ever since a Hot Wheels 'Wall Tracks' set I owned introduced me to them, they're my go-to for sticking anything up basically, so when I decided to try and extend the layout with a bridge, I realised they were probably the only means to attach it to the wall, short of fitting a shelf [which I didn't really want to do]  Wink

I took one of my Plarail girders to the hardware store and basically offered it up to a selection of Command strip hooks, and the best fit has been their 'decorating light clips', which are an almost perfect fit for the hollow inner of a standard Plarail yellow girder, so my method was to start at the solid floor end of my room and basically build the bridge, section by section across the stairway gap, sticking the girders to the wall with hooks and strips.

I left it overnight, deliberately overloaded with a 5 car train and the weight equivalent of ~5 Motor Tomica on the road, and it held up impressively, although it sagged slightly because the girders were only held on the bottom, so I added an extra Command poster hanging strip to secure the tops of every other girder to the wall, which almost immediately corrected the sagging, and so far, has held perfectly ^_^

The next stage is to curve the line around to meet a station and standard Plarail balloon track on a board that's going to sit above the stairs [which are L-shaped] in what would have been otherwise dead space [see diagram] - This is basically going to be a form of switchback, as i'm planning to fit a Plarail 'Auto Point' set to divert the trains onto another route, effectively allowing me to create a loop around my room; Considering that space at the end of the bridge was at a premium, and none of my Plarail components could dodge around a protruding section of wall, this was the best way to create a bedroom loop, by turning the trains back around before turning them off onto the rest of the loop; Honestly, i'm surprising myself with just how intricate this is going to be, this has certainly blown away any expectations I had for my layout going in  Big Grin 

The road might well be another matter, although perhaps a Tomica road turntable could be the answer to my prayers lol  Wink  

The blue sections are the track, it's a very rudimentary diagram but I think it gets the point across  Angel

Now all I got to do is hope and pray I got enough free time to sort out the rest of the room, cuz the layout isn't going anywhere without any space lol
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2021, 01:01 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Plarail Man UK's post:
  • Mister No, Super
It looks really high, and I still have no idea how the track will go beyond the place in the picture. Anyway, it’s something new, a fresh idea. The switchback with automatic switches, great idea! I can’t wait to see the connected and working railroad! As you work on it, don’t forget to take pictures of the progress! Smile
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 2 users Like Mister No's post:
  • Plarail Man UK, Super
Ha...I assumed the lower run was Tomy Train track, didn't look close enough to see they were Road pieces. Look forward to more. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • Mister No, Plarail Man UK