[SOLVED] HELP: disassembly S-16 speed changing

5 Replies, 3210 Views

Hello Guys,
I hope this is the right place to find some help...
I just bought the first Plarail set for my son (he's a shinkansen fan, despite living in Italy) and finding out that his S-16 speed-changing E5 Hayabusa was full of dust, I had the very BAD IDEA to clean it internally.
No problem until I unscrew the last cover to reach the engine: as I started to remove the cover, a little spring and some gears jumped out before I could have a single glance to the original disposition.

[Image: 20210102-154854.jpg]

This picture shows my best guess, but I cannot restore the engine without a scheme (I'm not smart enough to understand how it is supposed to work). I'm completely puzzled with the small pink lever+ spring at the basis of the mechanism.
Unfortunately, my Japanese knowledge is less than basic, and I cannot find any tutorial searching in English only.
Could you help me, please?
Many thanX!

Daniele
[-] The following 2 users Like dan-italy's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Hmmm, I have not had one of these but I am intrigued as to how it works. Where is the spring you said that popped out?

BTW: welcome to BluePlasticTracks.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator
I haven't had one either but, have you located the popped out gears and springs? Could you identify any of the pieces that have popped out? Most of the Chassis-Based Drive Unit designs tend to be complicated internally and difficult to reassemble (as I found out with my CGI Redesign TS-04 Gordon).
- roxaclock

"see ya around!"
[-] The following 2 users Like FfarquharDeveloper's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Thank you for everybody for your answers!
I found out a solution in this video:

As you can see, even George-san (ジョージ), who seems very skilful in Plarail tuning, incurred in the same spring accident (maybe without messing everything inside...).

This is the right disposition on the gears:

[Image: 2021-01-06-111701-1920x1080-scrot.png]

In addition, I shut this, to show how the speed change device should appear (below the main gears):

[Image: 20210106-141928.jpg]

What did I learn from this experience?
  • Plarail internal mechanism is simple, clean ad perfect
  • Open your train putting it in a small transparent plastic box...
Hope this would help somebody!

Many thanks to all

daniele
[-] The following 4 users Like dan-italy's post:
  • chrisjo, DalaGStanator, Super, Tharazero1
Wow. Thank you SO much for not only finding that video, but also showing it to let others know how to dis/assemble these DUs. Highly appreciated. I've been helping out FfarquharDeveloper who has a document with info about the various drive unit designs and which items have them, so it should be of great help to her and anyone who uses the doc. Now we'll just have to know what the 1 speed variant looks like on the inside (maybe only the switch section is different).
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Super
Wow, thank you very much Daniele and thank you for coming back to us to show us pictures of and commentary to your solution. Now if anyone else has the same problem then we can refer them to you and this Thread. Smile

Congratulations on solving your problem.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator