DalaGStanator's Real Railway Photography

3 Replies, 3835 Views

Inspired by Chrisjo's recent thread showing his 1960s Bluebell Railway photos, I saw an opportunity to start my own thread for photos I've taken at various times in four different countries (including my own). I wasn't familiar with most of this rolling stock when I saw them in person and still didn't know much about them, so I've been relying on various sources for names, numbers and info. These are also not the only photos I still have, but they've been carefully selected (taken by me, decent quality, no face/body reveals, etc.). Let's begin.

Israel

Turkish Station Museum (Be'er Sheva)

TCDD 45151 Class No. 45166 (2013)

[Image: 746.jpg][Image: 761.jpg][Image: 765.jpg]

This 8F derived locomotive is not an original survivor, but members of the same class were inherited by Israel Railways. It was only imported for the museum in 2012, and this was how it looked when the place was being renovated. There were no workers around that day, so I got a chance to climb onto the footplate (not pictured).

TCDD 45151 Class No. 70414 (2015)

[Image: 086.jpg][Image: 087.jpg][Image: 088.jpg][Image: 089.jpg]
[Image: 090.jpg][Image: 091.jpg]

While it had already been painted in 2013, the number and details were not added yet and the photos of that stage were not taken by me. I took these ones on my fourth (documented) visit, the last two being taken from the upper level of the station building. Speaking of the number, it's actually a direct reference to a song by Chaim Chefer (performed by Arik Lavie). It accompanied a short film about the engine's last journey to the works in Haifa, where it was eventually scrapped. The real 70414 was not available, so 70513 was renumbered for filming. Given this station closed in 1927, not one engine of this class ever actually reached it. They only placed one there and numbered it such to reflect the song/film. The other rolling stock are a Birmingham RC&W coach, an LSWR 3rd class coach, a 7 ton refrigerated van and a wooden van from WWII.

Jerusalem-Khan Station (2017)

This old station is more of a culture and entertainment venue than a museum. One of the widely promoted attractions there is a small trackless train (smaller than road going ones), but that's not relevant to this forum.

Travel in Time exhibition van

[Image: 1184.jpg]

This van houses a free entry exhibit that shows a 10 minute film about the station's history and how the area came to be what it is today (also in 2013). I didn't get to go in and see it, one reason being there wasn't enough time that day.

Birmingham RC&W coach No. 322 (World of Trains exhibition)

[Image: 1185.jpg][Image: 1193.jpg]

Now this was an opportunity I felt sorry to miss. Among other uses, this coach is the base of World of Trains (literal translation), a model rail club that opened in 2014. The coach holds a 22m2 H0 scale layout with no particular theme, which runs Israel Railways trains in addition to global ones from different eras. If I remember correctly, the coach was closed during my visit.

Misc.

Jerusalem Light Rail Citadis 302 (2019)

[Image: 268.jpg]

England (2013)

London Paddington Station

GWR Classes 43 and 165

[Image: 011.jpg]

London Transport Museum

1923 Q Stock carriage interior, with sculpted passengers

[Image: 290.jpg][Image: 291.jpg]

Science Museum

Grand Junction Railway No. 49 Columbine

[Image: 499.jpg]

The original Stephenson's Rocket

[Image: 500.jpg]

Switzerland (2015)

Swiss Transport Museum (Lucerne)

SBB Be 6/8 II No. 13254

[Image: 195.jpg]

BLS Be 5/7 No. 151

[Image: 196.jpg]

Waldenburg Railway No. 6 Waldenburg

[Image: 197.jpg]

Burgdorf-Thun Railway E2E No. 2

[Image: 199.jpg]

Vevey-Montreux-Chillon Tramway No. 4

[Image: 200.jpg]

Langnau-Emmental Railway Ed 3/3 No. 3 Langnau

[Image: 201.jpg]

SBB C 5/6 Elephant No. 2965

[Image: 203.jpg][Image: 204.jpg]

Rotary Snowplough Xrot m No. 100

[Image: 205.jpg]

Rigi Railways H 1/2 No. 7

[Image: 206.jpg]

Bern Tramways G 3/3 No. 18

[Image: 207.jpg]

Brünig Railway Dhm No. 3952

[Image: 209.jpg]

Misc.

Lucerne Station

[Image: 272.jpg]

Brienz Rothorn Railway No. 12

[Image: 283.jpg]

This was the only time I saw a real steam locomotive operating in person, so it would've made no sense not to include this special photo. I caught it on video as well, though it seems I don't have the file anymore. No. 12 has an orange coat of arms that the other ones don't have, so that's how I found it now.

Boarding the Pilatus Railway

[Image: 323.jpg]

Stadler FLIRT 523 025

[Image: 361.jpg]

BLS Re 465 Nos. 009 Napf and 012 Euro Tunnel

[Image: 451.jpg]

Vevey Station

[Image: 452.jpg]

Romania (2016)

Sibiu Steam Locomotive Museum

20-55 coaches

[Image: 307.jpg][Image: 310.jpg]

Double deck coaches

[Image: 309.jpg]

[Image: 315.jpg]

389 01

[Image: 316.jpg]

763 148

[Image: 318.jpg]

Rotary Snowplough

[Image: 320.jpg]

130 503

[Image: 321.jpg][Image: 324.jpg]

324 951 and 94 649

[Image: 325.jpg]

150 1105

[Image: 326.jpg]

60 1201

[Image: 327.jpg]

Plasser & Theurer SSP-2005 SWR

[Image: 336.jpg]

Light blue coaches

[Image: 338.jpg]

Misc.

Two Bucharest Articulated Tramcars

[Image: 197.jpg]
[-] The following 5 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • chrisjo, drewbenn, Mister No, Super, Tharazero1
Love all the pictures LaG, especially the one in the museums. I would imagine that the Lucerne Transport Museum wasn't around when I was in Lucerne in the 70's but those trains are awesome. I am particularity interested in that odd looking SBB Be 6/8 II.
Thanks for sharing.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • chrisjo, DalaGStanator
It already opened in '59, and became successful enough to be the most popular museum (of any kind) in Switzerland ever since.

I found this link that should tell you all there is to know about the Be 6/8 II and its predecessors. It is one of the most wonderful units in their rail collection, and I'm glad it was the first one I documented.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Super
My mistake...it wasn't Lucerne that I spent time at in Switzerland...it was Lausanne on the shores of Lake Geneva I visited while staying in Montreux.

Wow, I did a Google Maps street view and that Museum grounds are huge with even a huge Jet Plane. If I ever am able to visit Switzerland again that would defenatly be on my itinerary for sure. Thanks LaG. Smile
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator