DalaGStanator's Customs, Mods and Experiments

170 Replies, 76289 Views

[Image: 352-CB8-DA-583-E-4527-8-EA6-DBEF7-BC31258.jpg][Image: 7-D78-F4-A6-7533-41-EC-A46-C-B36-B43-A168-EB.jpg][Image: EE583311-9-A9-F-4-BF1-B721-1-B21530211-A0.jpg]

At last, my (somewhat working) friction powered Rocket is finished. Mister No is quite right; of all the customs I've shown here, this was by far the hardest to make due to its accurate detail and construction. All my other ones took roughly two-three days to finish, while this took an entire week. I commend myself for not shelving it in the process. I eventually found a temporary solution for the coupling rods: gluing two of the failed 3D pen axleboxes to the wheels, adding loose pegs and gluing the rods to them. They will jam if not break, but it's better than not trying at all. Last time I found it, I recall the 0-6-0T from the set had broken rods. It would've been easier to just take the powered wheels from it (or cast them) instead.

Edit:

[Image: 778-ED4-BF-5975-46-C0-9520-CCDAF1-F4116-F.jpg]

I went with new TOMY style 3D pen rods and attached them the "wrong" way around, in the sense that the grooves are at the front and the pegs are separate from the rods (like on the Capsule Plarail Stephen). They ended up working quite well despite coming off easily. Besides that, I'm happy I got them to work without burning holes into the wheels.

Before anyone asks: no. Even though it would be one of the easiest conversions, I don't plan to make a Stephen smokebox, funnel and bufferbeams for it. Two reasons are the tender is actually too narrow for TOMY or TrackMaster track, and the whole thing is more of a display model than something that can be played with. Despite how limited the pieces are, I've been wanting to make other (and better running) models for the UE track.

Bonus: I have these two firefighters that happen to be a good scale for a driver and fireman (stoker). Even the hose looks a bit like a shovel from that angle as well. I may or may not cast them without the bases, hydrant and axe and glue both to the loco and tender for even more realism.

[Image: 1-E4-C3-A07-CB71-4580-972-B-1735994-B0-B7-F.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, mitzalplik

Messages In This Thread
RE: DalaGStanator's Customs, Mods and Experiments - by DalaGStanator - 01-14-2022, 10:38 AM