DalaGStanator's Customs, Mods and Experiments

170 Replies, 76291 Views

[Image: 09861-F6-A-BE8-B-42-E0-8-D18-4-C5-D14511-FE1.jpg][Image: 20-EF2-E1-F-79-F0-4-D36-B3-A2-0-E8-FE399-A919.jpg][Image: 1-FAEF9-FD-952-C-43-E6-A491-BFD4732-EB196.jpg]

I then found a very interesting and helpful way to make (much) better curves: YouTuber Abhilash Arts made a tutorial for homemade H0 scale track (made of sunboard), and they used a large cardboard quarter circle to bend the track by taping one side to it. The exact same process for a straight, but without one rail until the other is taped to the quarter circle. Even the same non angled spacer can be used and it won't mess up the alignment of the sleepers. In part thanks to the hot glue, the zip ties kept their shape very well after being bent. Hoping to use the quarter circle for other track designs after the issues I had with Quazar like spacers. The curve turned out more precise since the wheels barely derail on it, while the straight has slightly buckled rails like the cardboard sleeper version had. Maybe if the rails were made of two layers like the new sleepers, it would've been easier to make them straight enough. In the meantime, I'll repeat the process for more curves like it until I could have an oval before trying to do a set of points. Again, the gauge is too narrow for my current trains and an all new train should be made specifically for it. I'm thinking of a small diesel shunter with two simple trucks, vans or flatbeds. I have other planned uses for zip ties since they're essentially plastic and could be glued together like popsicle sticks. My potential problems with them are the differences in thickness (which would require raising a few sleepers), the way they can get crooked and a bit hard to bend back into shape, the smooth sides being difficult to paint, or sheets made from them warping or breaking when manipulated. For custom track, however, they're showing to be really good so far.

[Image: 9-B5-EBC32-A392-47-A6-9-F18-6-FE5-A0-FAFA62.jpg]

One of my far fetched desires is to build enough parts for an outdoor railway that would span a big portion of the garden; something I already have enough parts to do with Plarail and TrackMaster, which doesn't quite feel the same to me. I would love to run custom trains with all three main types of locomotives, ranging from mundane to whimsical. Preferably with lights and effects like off the shelf toys and models have. Until I could get there, I still have a very long way to go.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2023, 06:19 PM by DalaGStanator.)
[-] The following 2 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • Donald9Douglas10Oliver11mp, generic_truck_69420

Messages In This Thread
RE: DalaGStanator's Customs, Mods and Experiments - by DalaGStanator - 06-19-2023, 10:28 PM