A weird TrackMaster Thomas

7 Replies, 1787 Views

Hi, this is my first time posting and writting an article and english isn't my native language so sorry if my english is bad.
Today I decided to research more about TOMY/TrackMaster knockoffs/counterfeits. While searching, I found this weird Slippy Sodor Thomas HiT Toy face without blush with Jam stickers. Somebody know if this a rare variant, a custom or a factory error? Thanks!.

The source where I found this picture: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/6196941836?red_tag=1746334743

[Image: Thomas-WPurple-Jam-Stickers-No-Blush-Hi-TFace.png]
[-] The following 5 users Like MrKirby48's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, GreatGordonFan, PJ10001, Splodge, Super
Hello MrKirby

Welcome to the world of BluePlasticTracks posting, glad to have ya.

I am by no means knowledgeable about the Thomas line but two things stand out to me about that Thomas. First the purple blobs (jam you say?) on the side sticker and second, the red smokestack that if I recall correctly, was only on one Thomas and it was long ago.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • MrKirby48, Splodge
The jam stickers are the same as on the "Thomas in a Jam" pack
[Image: Track-Master-Thomasina-Jam-box.webp]

The red funnel looks like it's been painted on (it's unevenly painted) and the face could be from a HiT toys thomas.
So maybe a custom.
Train it, plane it, you name it!
[-] The following 5 users Like GreatGordonFan's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, MrKirby48, PJ10001, Splodge, Super
The Red Funnel Could Be From the Thomas in "Slippy Sodor" Pack...
[-] The following 4 users Like PJ10001's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, MrKirby48, Splodge, Super
Yes! I'm thinking on that because in my knowledge there's a version of that greatest moments pack with Thomas' HiT Toy Company face.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2023, 10:04 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 3 users Like MrKirby48's post:
  • PJ10001, Splodge, Super
This is an interesting one indeed...

Before I continue I will be referring to the "Thomas in a Jam Thomas" model as "TIAJ Thomas", and "Slippy Sodor Thomas" as "SS Thomas".

Now, from the same source the same person has a regular TIAJ Thomas
[Image: jam.jpg]

And the plastic for this Thomas' chassis appears to be darker than the Thomas in question, the one we're figuring out has a more HiT shininess to it
[Image: slippy-sticky-jam.png]

I don't know if that darker chassis should be like that, I don't own a SS Thomas or a TIAJ Thomas. Despite that, I noticed that on Thomas', uhm, I don't know much about real trains but I think they're called side tanks? Sorry if I'm wrong in the name, but on top of the side tanks there's jam on the actual TIAJ model
[Image: side-tanks.png]
[Image: printed-or-sticker.png]

Which the strange Thomas lacks
[Image: no-jam.png]

Again, I don't own either of these models but it looks like the jam detail on the side tanks is printed on, if that's the case then the strange Thomas is not a TIAJ shell or else it would have the printed jam. It appears to be a SS Thomas shell with incorrect stickers from the factory. SS Thomas with the HiT face is already rare on it's own but I've never seen one with TIAJ stickers. Some SS Thomas' have very obvious blush, and others basically don't have any, explaining why this one has practically no blush. Personally, I think it's a SS Thomas with the incorrect stickers so a factory error, but the funnel's paint not being as shiny as other SS models I've seen is throwing me off. Anyway thanks for reading!
TrackMaster Expert (kinda)
[-] The following 2 users Like Splodge's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Super
Nice investigative work Splodge 👍
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Splodge
I think it’s a SS Thomas shell that has been restickered with TIAJ decals.
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like MuddyPoppins's post:
  • DuckGWR, Splodge, Super