Never Again

24 Replies, 7629 Views

As far as I can tell, only the colour of the switch is a little different (different type of motor), and there are some very minor changes in the paintwork of some details, but not regarding the gold: it's still not that shiny as in your first pic. The comparison video is HERE.
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mister No's post:
  • Super
Other than the different chassis type, I didn't really see anything different unless I missed something.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Mister No
They could, at the very least, paint some roof elements (say, black), this would significantly contribute to the overall look of the model.
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mister No's post:
  • Super
That's horrible! I hate people who do this
[-] The following 1 user Likes CooingSlinky11's post:
  • Super
It makes me wonder if Tomy are facing some budgetary issues as a company, its unusual for them to so drastically downgrade the quality of their products for any other reason.  I should imagine the gold expo model would be quite a bit more expensive to produce, but if that was a problem you'd think they would have released two versions.  The current one as a base model and the expo design as a 'pro' or 'deluxe' version at an appropriate price uplift.

On the other hand I wonder if the expo model was a true production model, or one that they printed on a high end 3D printer and whoever did it used a 'silk' or 'glitter' type filament that can look truly metallic.  Only to find when they come to injection moulding it was not easy/feasible/cost-effective to make them out of the same material?!?
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
True but they have mass produced many other 'metallic' trans.
Yes, this is true, but the 'chromed' trains tend to be normal white plastic with the chrome, gold or whatever overlaid on it, you can see that if they pick up any damage as the white under layer shows through.  That expo one is not chromed, it is just solid plastic by the look of things and it does look very much like some of the gold silk filaments I've used many times Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2021, 12:54 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
So could that type of Gold Silk Filament material also be used in a production line injection mold too?
it appears so:

https://xy-masterbatch.en.made-in-china....uding.html
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • Mister No, Super
Thanks Dr Chris

Only the last picture looks like gold to me but because it isn't a clear image I have to assume that the photo has been enhanced...maybe to look more gold like?, the others just look like colored plastic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Mister No