Help Me Identify This Image Please.

12 Replies, 4099 Views

I believe we have discussed this image of a Deer and Crescent Moon before but I can't find the Posts. Found on only a few Plarail Steamers, mostly the hard to get ones, I think it designates something but my old brain cells can't recall...any help???

[Image: IMG-0937.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator
Only on D51 882 I believe.
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Many thanks Dr Chris always my Hero Wink

I was probably thinking of the 'Swallow' insignia that are on a couple Plarail Steamers. Your information is great and tells the whole story and, yes, the pictured design is from my Plarail D51-882 which makes it even more rare now that it has a one of a kind design on it.  I find it curious as to the article that, if it really truly is only found on one engine, the D51-882, then why is there some pictures that show the crescent moon facing in different directions. To my knowledge of numbering there could only be one engine designated as an 882 which is specific to its production I think, so how could there be different moons?
  • chrisjo
Isn’t is called the “Silver Swallow”?
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like MuddyPoppins's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
The article discusses the fact that on one side of the engine the moon initially faced away from the deer, but was then changed so that it was the other way round and the same on both sides, and asks for dated photos so that the date of the change can be established. I have been unable to find out the significance of the deer-moon symbol itself (so far).

There's another page which lists the designs on other steam locos; it seems that the swallow design in various forms was found on a number of different locos, in some cases faked up with silver foil or painted on by the engineer!
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
It's on the D51 from this beautiful Plarail First Try set [D51形 882号機(月と鹿マーク) D51 type 882 (moon and deer mark)]:

From the description: "It is a Plarail of D51 type steam locomotive No. 882 of "First Try Set Kuro" released in 2001. The moon and deer are drawn on the deflector. In addition, the rails and garage are unified in gray and black. The final driving scene is driving the "Suha 43 passenger car". This product was only sold for one year."
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 2 users Like Mister No's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
It is a beautiful set and very hard to come by. I do have a couple issues though. The Tender does not have a sticker on it like all the other tenders on the Steam Tenders do no matter what type. And the grey Rails are not the same color as the grey I use which would match the Elevated Rail color. These rails  are like a color all there own...a shade lighter than the normal Dark Grey Rails and a shade darker that the Elevated Rail color. But this is the only way to get that close switch point rail in grey and it looks OK on my Layout. Besides the Train, The Close Switch Rail both exclusive to this set, that grey Shed with black roof is also an exclusive.

@Muddy
Isn't 'Silver Swallow' what they call the fabulous set with 2 C62's where the second is a dummy with front hook and real sounds.
  • MuddyPoppins
D51 Question: Why does ucwepn's d51 have these siderods?

[Image: d51ucwepn.jpg]
Whereas mine and almost all the other ones have these?
[Image: d51.jpg]
Train it, plane it, you name it!
[-] The following 2 users Like GreatGordonFan's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Either the rods were swapped out or it's an older design of D51.
- roxaclock

"see ya around!"
[-] The following 3 users Like FfarquharDeveloper's post:
  • DalaGStanator, GreatGordonFan, Super
Strange things
Train it, plane it, you name it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes GreatGordonFan's post:
  • Super