» Views: 21667
Vintage Plarail/Tomy Commercials
Last Post: Mister No
05-20-2022 09:27 AM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 107

Help Me Identify This Image Please.
Question 
I believe we have discussed this image of a Deer and Crescent Moon before but I can't find the Posts. Found on only a few Plarail Steamers, mostly the hard to get ones, I think it designates something but my old brain cells can't recall...any help???

[Image: IMG-0937.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator
Only on D51 882 I believe.
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • Super, DalaGStanator
Many thanks Dr Chris always my Hero ;)

I was probably thinking of the 'Swallow' insignia that are on a couple Plarail Steamers. Your information is great and tells the whole story and, yes, the pictured design is from my Plarail D51-882 which makes it even more rare now that it has a one of a kind design on it.  I find it curious as to the article that, if it really truly is only found on one engine, the D51-882, then why is there some pictures that show the crescent moon facing in different directions. To my knowledge of numbering there could only be one engine designated as an 882 which is specific to its production I think, so how could there be different moons?
  • chrisjo
Isn’t is called the “Silver Swallow”?
Play nice & have fun!!:)
[-] The following 2 users Like Muddy Poppins's post:
  • Super, DalaGStanator
The article discusses the fact that on one side of the engine the moon initially faced away from the deer, but was then changed so that it was the other way round and the same on both sides, and asks for dated photos so that the date of the change can be established. I have been unable to find out the significance of the deer-moon symbol itself (so far).

There's another page which lists the designs on other steam locos; it seems that the swallow design in various forms was found on a number of different locos, in some cases faked up with silver foil or painted on by the engineer!
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • Super, DalaGStanator
It's on the D51 from this beautiful Plarail First Try set [D51形 882号機(月と鹿マーク) D51 type 882 (moon and deer mark)]:

From the description: "It is a Plarail of D51 type steam locomotive No. 882 of "First Try Set Kuro" released in 2001. The moon and deer are drawn on the deflector. In addition, the rails and garage are unified in gray and black. The final driving scene is driving the "Suha 43 passenger car". This product was only sold for one year."
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 2 users Like Mister No's post:
  • Super, DalaGStanator
It is a beautiful set and very hard to come by. I do have a couple issues though. The Tender does not have a sticker on it like all the other tenders on the Steam Tenders do no matter what type. And the grey Rails are not the same color as the grey I use which would match the Elevated Rail color. These rails  are like a color all there own...a shade lighter than the normal Dark Grey Rails and a shade darker that the Elevated Rail color. But this is the only way to get that close switch point rail in grey and it looks OK on my Layout. Besides the Train, The Close Switch Rail both exclusive to this set, that grey Shed with black roof is also an exclusive.

@Muddy
Isn't 'Silver Swallow' what they call the fabulous set with 2 C62's where the second is a dummy with front hook and real sounds.
  • Muddy Poppins
D51 Question: Why does ucwepn's d51 have these siderods?

[Image: d51ucwepn.jpg]
Whereas mine and almost all the other ones have these?
[Image: d51.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like GreatGordonFan's post:
  • Super, DalaGStanator
Either the rods were swapped out or it's an older design of D51.
Just call me Ffar

Probably disassembling a TOMY Toy
[-] The following 3 users Like FfarquharDeveloper's post:
  • GreatGordonFan, Super, DalaGStanator
Strange things
[-] The following 1 user Likes GreatGordonFan's post:
  • Super
Photo 
It's an older design.  If I were to start to show you all the different D51's that Plarail have produced over the years, I'd still be here compiling the post tomorrow! Those aren't the only two designs of piston rods, and they didn't even have tenders for many years.....
[Image: D51Black.jpeg]
[-] The following 3 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • GreatGordonFan, Super, DalaGStanator
@Chrisjo, Thanks for thebinformation.
Wow plarail really loves the d51, after all, it's their country's famous engine, the master of the railway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GreatGordonFan's post:
  • Super
I love the 'long' side rod versions on the earlier Plarail steamers even the Thomas ones like earlier versions of Gordon and Henry. They look and move a little more realistic than the modern, axle to axle types. That being said, I can see we they changed as the longer ones could easily come out of the front slide, get bent and possibly poke an eye out when out and the motor running. I imagine after all those years they changed them for safety and to last longer.
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • chrisjo, DalaGStanator