Galloping Goose

4 Replies, 2775 Views

I love it and what about all that beautiful scenery?

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Mister No
Great train, spectacular scenery! There are many trains (rail-buses?) like this still in regular traffic on some lines in Africa and South America.
And what a great Plarail model that would be...!
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mister No's post:
  • Super
Plarail making one would be Awesome!
If memory serves me, I believe that most of these somehow survived into preservation.

The Rio Grande Southern was an interesting little railroad before being folded in to the larger Rio Grande (DRG&W). The Galloping Goose (Geese?) came about because it was too expensive and labor intensive to run steam locomotives on the line. They modified cars and buses to run the rails and keep things going for around 15-20 years.

EDIT: Wiki says that RGS ended operations and abandoned their line some time in the early 50s. I had been under the belief that they were absorbed in to the DRG&W but I might be mistaken.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
(10-04-2021, 11:37 PM)Off The Rails Wrote:  The Galloping Goose (Geese?) came about because it was too expensive and labor intensive to run steam locomotives on the line. They modified cars and buses to run the rails and keep things going for around 15-20 years.

Thanks OTR...I really didn't know the actual reasons for these unusual creations. Smile