Tomica World--Amtrak Super Spiral

6 Replies, 2347 Views

I had received some boxes of my nephew's old trains and track from my sister in law a while back.  She thought that my youngest son might be interested in trains.  Since he really hasn't shown any interest, I decided to dig through the boxes to see what was in there.  I found the instruction manual for a few things and one of them was for the Amtrak Super Spiral track.  I tried to research some because I wanted to see what things went with the set in case I wanted to build it or trade/sell it.  From the research I found, it appears to be pretty rare.  I am trying to figure out what pieces I have, but so many of the blue pieces are so similar with some minor changes in what year/words are found on them.  I just wanted to see if you guys could tell me what to look for to know what actually belongs to this set and what doesn't.  I know there are some Tomy Thomas sets included too, so that's why there are different dates on the pieces.  Here is a picture of the instructions and the Amtrak train (I am assuming) goes with it.  Thanks for any help/information you can give.

Joel
[Image: F83-E7-D60-185-C-4-D31-9-F39-79870-FB9-DD24.jpg]
[Image: CAA758-F2-3-C5-B-40-E8-A3-A5-91-E35-EF54121.jpg]
[Image: C1-E9-C3-D2-0-BA9-4-DA4-8-A45-9-EBA59757086.jpg]
[Image: F624-CA97-BDE0-4-A52-B794-8-C3-A87-B26-FBE.jpg]
[-] The following 4 users Like Jnile81's post:
  • chrisjo, HanoibusGamer, Super, Therealblack64YT
Not sure exactly what your question is because you have the parts List but have you seen the YouTube Videos on the set which may help you identify your parts? I have had many of these Amtrak Super Spiral Sets.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Jnile81
I understand your problem exactly (I think!). You wish to recreate the set, not just with the correct number of curves, straights, etc, but with those items bearing the correct dates, copyright notices, logos, etc. that would have been in the original set.

I have encountered this problem many times, buying old sets and finding track pieces that could not have come from those sets because, for example, of the dates moulded onto them.

If it's any help, anything later than 2002 will be wrong.

However, it's probably only you and me that worries about these things, 99 buyers out of 100 won't care.

If you'd like to sell the Amtrack train to someone in the UK, please message me!!!!
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • Jnile81, Super
I guess my question is, since I know I have different types of track that are technically the same exact pieces (shape and all), does it matter which pieces go with this if I were to sell it or trade it to someone else?  Some of the pieces say 1992 underneath and some say 1998.  I just didn't know if that made a difference to most people or not.  I can take pictures of the extra pieces I have as well.  I know that there is at least one set (flying Harold set) that is mixed in with this and maybe two.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jnile81's post:
  • Super
As I said, it will make no difference to anyone really, no-one's going to be particularly interested in the track, it's the Amtrak train itself they'll be wanting.
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • Jnile81, Super
Really the only things that are worth anything in the whole set is the exclusive Double Decker Station and the Amtrak train as Chrisjo stated. All the rest of the parts, which there are many, are normal, easy to attain items. If selling as a complete set I would make sure none of the blue tracks are discolored and that all the yellow risers match in their style/shape.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • chrisjo, Jnile81
I understand.  I can see what you guys are saying.  The tracks from the different years are basically identical.  The buildings and trains are what appear to be so different.  Thanks guys for the info, as a collector of many things I think I like learning about different things as much as I like collecting at times.  I am going to look at what I have and then search around and see if I want to make a go at putting this thing together or maybe figure one that I really want and trade or sell the rest.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jnile81's post:
  • Super