A Tomy Bulk Buy

13 Replies, 3333 Views

I guess you could live with a perfectly Talking Thomas but doesn't run well or you could take a chance on fixing him and having a perfectly Talking Thomas who now runs well. Also the knowledge you gain for the experience of swapping out a gear will help you with all future repairs too. Check YouTube to see if there is a video showing someone opening up the same Thomas you have to do a similar repair to get an idea of what it looks like then, why not take a chance?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • confusedanddelayed, Rich.gamble
Y'know, for broken motors/burnt out motors, if you don't have an appropriate donor engine to hand, if you go to Aliexpress and search for 'Mini 4WD' motors, designed for the Japanese 'Mini 4WD' hobby car kits, those are just right as a direct replacement for Tomy motors, being the same size.

Bear in mind though, try and get one with a lower RPM for the Thomas engines, as some of the motors run into the 1000's of RPM, which is great for replacements on Shinkansen models [gives em' a good speed boost] but the lower ones are great for steamers/Thomas models as they give great performance when coupled to the gearbox.

Also another useful tool [and nessecary to get the gear off and on the motor shafts] is a 'gear puller' - Again, Aliexpress, search 'Mini 4WD gear puller' - These make getting gears off and on motor shafts, axles and other rods much easier, and I suspect is what they use when assembling Plarail engines in the factory Smile
Been building Plarail worlds since 2001; Building when I can in 2023 Cool
[-] The following 3 users Like Plarail Man UK's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Rich.gamble, Super
Thanks for your thoughts P-Man
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Thanks guys. I do have a second talking thomas that will likely have the gears i need. Annie is ripped off so i can practice opening it without fear. The first ones motor works fine can tell there is a stripped gear inside. Going to try replace a gear in a regular thomas first.

Also had a great day with the timber yard set and newly whacked Terrence. The stickers arent on it yet does anyone have a link to the instructions or maybe i will keep the sheet aside for now if its more collectible?

Also thanks playrail man for the gear puller tip. I was fixing an enigine with a rusted motor and made a crack in the main gear using tweezers to slip it off. Ironically it was a poor Salty.

I bought two new mabuchi clone motors for that failed project researched speed around 9000rmp. https://core-electronics.com.au/dc-toy-h...-size.html

Got a lot of parts/sets for someone new to the hobby over the last 6 months but not much tools. This thead has been a big turning point for me in learning.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2022, 11:02 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rich.gamble's post:
  • Super