Speed

3 Replies, 4292 Views

Hi Guys,

I completed my layout. I'll post pictures shortly.

However, one of the issues I noticed is that the trains I have all run at different speeds. I was curious why and perhaps someone can shed some light on it.

The reason I am asking is that my new layout is so long it can accommodate multiple trains. However the fast trains will knock off the slower ones.

The fastest train I have is a used model which runs on a C Cell and has an R1 Engine.

This train is significantly fasters than the brand new train AA trains that I had shipped from Japan. On the the opposite end, the slowest train I have also runs a R1 engine with a C Cell.

Even when I run two brand new trains against each other I notice a difference in speed.

Do they gear each model differently?

Anyone have an insight on the dramatically different speeds from the same engines?

Thanks for everyone's help
Howdy KumaChan!

To be quite honest, some engines have different gearing based on the type of motor that the locomotive possesses; for example, take the J.N.R. HD300. It has the bulky, black motor like a Plarail Thomas, Percy, Toby, Rosie, or Harvey, so it could be expected to be very noisy and somewhat fast or slow. On the contrary, as Ucwepn and I can both confirm, the HD300's engine is silent and makes the engine somewhat slow; what it lacks in speed it makes up for in brute strength.

Another example is the flat type drive unit that some engines possess; as James now has it in his redesign, his competition is the J.N.R. C57-1. Both motors are somewhat noisy(My C57-1 can be either quiet or noisy on any given day; can't confirm or deny redesigned James) and vary on speed and strength.

The same is said of the bulky C-Cell battery motors; quiet or noisy, fast or slow.

The only engines whose speed is really confirmed are 2-speed motors, or Hi-Power motors, both which practically guarantee high speeds, and great pulling power for the latter.

I hope this helps, partner; don't hesitate to ask any more questions if you need some help!
Residential train-afficionado in training, and Thomas & Friends fan.

Try using well used battery's especially rechargeable in the faster trains and new alkaline, not rechargeable in the slower trains. When I do onboard filming for videos I put in a used rechargeable in the filming engine (C size for weight) and I drop weights and another c size battery in a gondola to slow her down even more while filming.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Thanks guys. I will continue to investigate