High-speed maglev toys are coming in 2015

1 Replies, 4090 Views

Not sure if you guys have seen this article but is looks like Maglev Plarail trains are in Tomy's future.

I have ridden on a Maglev train before and it was astonishingly quiet and smooth. Perhaps our grandchildren will see Maglev trains in everyday use.

Then again, I can remember thinking when I was a child that the Concorde was going to be the future of air travel. We all know how that worked out.

Here is the link: www.engadget.com/2014/06/13/high-speed-maglev-toys/

Takara Tomy promised us that maglev technology would make its way to playsets next year, when we spoke at this year's Tokyo Toy Show. It had two very different toys on hand, one a train that the company claims can reach up to 600 KPH (relative to its scale, at least). To our untrained eyes, all we can say is it seemed pretty damn fast. The train contains its own magnet that levitates it off the plastic track, which is itself laced with magnets. The resulting air cushion reduces one of the biggest buzzkills in all of physics: friction. Since the magnetic field produces both an upward and forward thrust, there's no need for a set of Hot Wheels-style accelerators that manually hurl your car around the track.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KumaChan's post:
  • thehsvdude
Thanks KumaChan

I remember us discussing this back when this video was released but I can't seem to find the thread.

Looks to be expensive especially the tracks with all those magnets in them. Also if they go as fast as in the video how could one enjoy the running them if all they are is a blur? That all being said it would be neat to see them incorporated into a large HO layout if they will be that size.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]