Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Latest Threads
A Bit Different View
Last Post: Super
07-20-2019 03:21 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 173
Mini Review: Plarail 60th Anniversary Be...
07-20-2019 03:20 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 167
Whaaat? Chuggington is Back?
07-20-2019 10:59 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 247
Un-Boxing Video of Thomas's Boulder Moun...
Last Post: Muddy Poppins
07-20-2019 08:19 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 123
Plarail Disney Dream Railway IronMan and...
07-19-2019 12:08 PM
» Replies: 18
» Views: 3958
Shinkansen Transformation Robo: Shinkali...
Last Post: Trainfanz
07-18-2019 10:54 AM
» Replies: 495
» Views: 70866
LEGO Hidden Side Sets
Last Post: leylandvictory2
07-18-2019 10:22 AM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 190
Plarails 60th Best Selection Set
07-17-2019 07:50 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 114
thomas and friends mini series
Last Post: Pablo392
07-16-2019 02:02 PM
» Replies: 2783
» Views: 1358105
Early Thomas Customs + other Japanese th...
07-16-2019 10:58 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 160
Super's Mod's, Customs & Layout
07-15-2019 10:17 PM
» Replies: 357
» Views: 134960
A Few Take 'n' Plays...
Last Post: Nigels
07-15-2019 10:33 AM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 756

thomas and friends mini series
thanks nigel. yes, it has potential to work brilliantly. will glue them at some stage, just need to find somewhere i can store the glued sections without them getting damaged. my comment was certainly not a complaint, just explaining why it wasnt fully set up for the photo. Smile
my website address has changed: http://sunstomyandfriends.weebly.com/
I never thought it was a complaint, just well I tend to be a perfectionist so hate shipping something that isn't 100% perfect Smile

Just as you know I've had a few things on so didn't have the time to keep playing with it and keep you waiting lol...
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
Looks real cool, guys. Whenever it’s fully assembled and in display mode, I’d like to see it. For now I can get a better picture of it all with that imagine. Anything stopping them from sliding off on either end? Is there room for 6 per tier possibly?
(04-14-2019, 12:03 PM)Reivax Wrote: Looks real cool, guys. Whenever it’s fully assembled and in display mode, I’d like to see it. For now I can get a better picture of it all with that imagine. Anything stopping them from sliding off on either end? Is there room for 6 per tier possibly?

To answer your questions;

Q: Anything stopping them from sliding off on either end?
A: Yes, I deliberately designed the shelves so that you can only slide the miniatures on from one end, the other end is sealed, thus making it just that little more difficult for someone to remove them.  The fit is also quite tight to stop them rolling off it tilted for example and again to stop little hands pulling them off.

Q: Is there room for 6 per tier possibly?
A: No, this is a physical limit impossed by the length of the miniatures themselves combined with the maximum size I can print length wise.  The printer I have is one of the larger hobbyist ones made (commercial ones costing thousands can print larger) with the largest print build size.  I can think of one other model that is even bigger, but frankly I wouldn't have room to accomodate that and would rarely need a bigger build size.  I could potentially make longer shelves, but these would have to be printed on end (the build size is 300mm x 300mm x 500mm - width x depth x height), but this would potentially result in weaker shelves.  It's all to do with how the layers of plastic are extruded.

Anyway, here is a peek of what I am currently printing, a set of 'blue plastic tracks' (literally as I'm using blue filament Smile), unfortunately I can't take credit for these models as I found them on Thingiverse.  The set available is based on the Brio type wooden tracks and seems to cover most if not all the normal track types available.  Similar to the wooden tracks these pieces are secured together using little plastic clips.  Seems I'll be able to have a full 'mini' size train set, all I need to do now is figure out if there is anyway to motorise a mini lol!!

Please note these are mini-sized and close ups so look 'rougher' than they actually are, I've also not cleaned anything up - for example the bottom of the bridge needs a little sanding to clean up the bottom.

[Image: IMG-20190414-125713410-HDR-2.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190414-125754275-HDR-2.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190414-125908429-HDR-2.jpg]
[-] The following 4 users Like Nigels's post:
  • sunhuntin, Pablo392, Super, Finno
That looks really neat, Nigel. I assume you had to go through a lot of filament for that ramp.
Actually not too much, including supports it came in at 83 grams. I've since printed the other slope, the centre piece, a cross-over, small straight, a support for a slopped track, a small dual straight and some connectors to join them. Going to carry on till I have enough parts for a small layout Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Pablo392
I've actually started a dedicated thread for the Thomas Mini track system, you can find it here;

3D Printed Thomas Mini Track System
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Finno
Pre-order for the 2019 Advent calendar.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PL3...UTF8&psc=1
[-] The following 1 user Likes mikedaws's post:
  • sunhuntin
more different xmas minis? damn, was hoping to use this year to catch up!

how do amazon pre-orders work? do i get charged now, or when it ships?
When it ships only.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AOF04's post:
  • sunhuntin
$35 for 6 Christmas minis. I hope they don't make too many more of these packs or at least the duplicates will be different this year. Even the kids I ve been giving the duplicates complain they are getting same engines. I placed the order. Thanks Mike.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pablo392's post:
  • mikedaws
(04-03-2019, 12:18 PM)mikedaws Wrote: Thank you for the info. Has anyone seen the translucent Power Rangers or if you’re interested in selling them, please PM me.

i just got a PM from nigels, he has a 4pk of the trans PR. if you message him, he might be able to help you out as well? it had 3 PR and then the old goldar which didnt look trans-clear to me. i think the others were pink, green and blue.
Totally correct Sun, I can get more (I've PM'd you the price as we don't want to post here in public), bear in mind there will be shipping to add though...

They are also as you say, transparent bodies/wheels for the rangers, normal for the Goldar.

Cheers, Nigel
(04-27-2019, 07:59 AM)sunhuntin Wrote:
(04-03-2019, 12:18 PM)mikedaws Wrote: Thank you for the info. Has anyone seen the translucent Power Rangers or if you’re interested in selling them, please PM me.

i just got a PM from nigels, he has a 4pk of the trans PR. if you message him, he might be able to help you out as well? it had 3 PR and then the old goldar which didnt look trans-clear to me. i think the others were pink, green and blue.
Thank you so much for letting me know! I’ll send Nigels a PM
I've ordered you a set Mike, should be here probably about Monday or Tuesday then I'll get it ready to send over Smile