How do you store your trains?

48 Replies, 43381 Views

I store all my engines (and rolling stock) in a set of neat plastic drawers like this one.
[Image: form-kontor-clear-grey-33l-8-drawer-stac...3-01bq.png]
Train it, plane it, you name it!
[-] The following 3 users Like GreatGordonFan's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Mister No, Super
How to Build a very Neat Double Wide Wooden Display Shelf for Tomica, Plarail, Tomy or Trackmaster.
Boy would I like to have a work surface like that! Isn't it made of Marble?

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Here is Plastic Storage Bin discovered by a well known Japanese YouTuber that looks to hold 24. 3 piece, trains neatly. Sure beneficial for his huge collection of trains.

[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • chrisjo, DalaGStanator
[Image: A0-FD7-CDA-DD9-F-4-BAC-9554-E1-D554-F49-CEA.jpg][Image: 04344-A42-BB4-E-46-D7-AB05-65965-FF5-ACC3.jpg][Image: 774-AA23-A-0-B69-4569-8-AFF-942-BCE074-BDF.jpg][Image: 8-A5-C3646-91-A5-4-CA4-89-F4-2-EB24-FDE2-A4-E.jpg]

The original three cardboard boxes I used for storing TOMY and TrackMaster track, road, risers and bridges were from 2009 and really didn't age well, and were also a bit longer than necessary for their contents. In addition, I never organised them and just lumped all the parts together. Yesterday, I emptied the worn out boxes and threw them out after transferring to (much) better ones. This time, I grouped each identical/related part into bunches and arranged them in order of size and precedence. For example: slopes, bridges and large points are at the bottom while straights, curves and normal points are near the top. If I ever decide to tie the bundles, I'm thinking to use two zip ties at the ends of each part group. Unlike rubber bands, they keep their shape and should (hopefully) last a bit longer. I forgot TrackMaster 1 risers can't be stacked the same way TOMY ones can and instead rely on two-three different heights, so they had to be stored differently. To avoid confusing "turntable" (diamond connector) straights with normal ones, I now store them where the turntables are and not with the other track pieces. All in all, I'm quite happy with these "new" boxes and how my organising turned out.

Note: most of the TOMY track is in far better condition than it seems to be. Only the flash makes the dust (and mild rainwater stains) more visible.
Nice to see it's so organized! I thinking about posting some images myself.
The magic of the GWR
[-] The following 1 user Likes Donald9Douglas10Oliver11mp's post:
  • Super
For me, like this...  The beauty of Takara Tomy products: Plarail, Tomica (box not blister) and TOMIX (esp. those with cases), great for resale if you don't want them anymore and high resale with original packaging included.  All my trains, I keep them in the original packaging and remove them when I want to use/play them and put back when I am done. 

[Image: 53095689168-7cf05eaf9e-b.jpg]

For NGauge, it's different.  I make sure everything is in a snap case (Takara Tomy and KATO offers them).  If they are in jewelcase, most jewel case will fit in a snap case. IF they are in boxes, I will remove the train from packaging and put them in the snap case (you can buy those with foam insert or no insert).

[Image: 52737523979-73a4bb4e11-b.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2023, 04:52 PM by KNDYNT2099. Edit Reason: addition )
[-] The following 2 users Like KNDYNT2099's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Super
What is a SnapCase and in my day a Jewel Case was something that CD's (Compact Disc's) came in.
(08-05-2023, 07:45 PM)Super Wrote: What is a SnapCase and in my day a Jewel Case was something that CD's (Compact Disc's) came in.

Greetings, for N Gauge, snap cases are cases that are sold for like $8-$10 USD (1000-1100 yen) from KATO and TOMIX:

[Image: 53099432080_57ca4b990d_b.jpg]

[Image: 53099028281_45be29b444_h.jpg]

[Image: 53098474927_d39849e788_h.jpg]

While good sets come with snap case, if you buy trains that only have 1, they come in jewel cases or 2-3 (in boxes with styrofoam).  To keep everything all uniform with cases (like a book shelf), I put them in snap cases.  Unfortunately, Tomix cases sell out quickly and are not as available, compared to KATO.  So, I tend to get more KATO cases for everything.  So, here is an example how I store the single car jewel cases in a snap case.
[-] The following 2 users Like KNDYNT2099's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Super
A very nice way to store the trains and keep them organized