Converting Harvey into a DMU

54 Replies, 68981 Views

Hallo everyone

Recently introduced myself on the general board, I've since bought lots of track and rolling stock! Am now embarking on my first mods.

.jpg   IMG_20150308_155827.jpg (Size: 167.12 KB / Downloads: 233)

It occurred to me that Harvey, an un-powered 'dummy' was actually pushed around by a motorised carriage. Picked one up cheap on ebay and I think the opportunity to convert Harvey (or rather his motor unit) into a DMU or EMU is too great to pass up. Progress so far...

First job was to find some carriages to make up the rest of the set. In a job lot of carriages I bought from eBay a few weeks ago I got a whole load (12 or so?) of Annies and Clarabels. I noted just two of the Clarabel coaches were longer than the others - conveniently the same length as Harvey's motor carriage. They will do nicely!

.jpg   IMG_20150308_160040.jpg (Size: 162.31 KB / Downloads: 233)

Sadly they have both had their couplers snapped off, so first job is to replace those.

.jpg   IMG_20150308_160803.jpg (Size: 189.77 KB / Downloads: 230)

The motor carriage has an unusually powerful motor compared to the other Trackmaster locomotives I've got so far, and a really large weight. I almost regret turning it over to this purpose, I think I could also connect it up to a long passenger train (perhaps half way down), to provide a boost to the engine pulling it around the garden layout.

As you can see, I've replaced the front coupler too, so it has loops at both ends rather than a loop and a hook. It originally had an unusually heavy hook so it would stay permanently attached to the dummy Harvey.

.jpg   IMG_20150308_160930.jpg (Size: 189.7 KB / Downloads: 231)

And that's it so far - now need to clean, prime, and paint these. Does anyone have any advice on which paints work best without chipping etc. I imagine most paints won't take too well to the polished surfaces, so any prep tips appreciated.

.jpg   IMG_20150308_161304.jpg (Size: 171.74 KB / Downloads: 224)

At the moment I'm leaning towards a Humbrol Spray Brunswick green for the bodies and a matt grey for the roof.

I've not yet decided on which real-world set I should base it on, but I'm presently leaning towards the British Rail 201, which had a motor baggage car, meaning most of the leading car had no windows - just like the Harvey power car.

.jpg   15223745565_0bbda5a2ed_b.jpg (Size: 227.01 KB / Downloads: 227)

Wondering how to model the leading end - windows, lights, jumpers, destination code board etc.

All advice and thoughts welcome!
[-] The following 2 users Like George_Gipping's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Excellent ideas George and a nice pictorial. Anxious to see what comes next.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I don't suppose you, or anyone else, knows why these Clarabel carriages are longer than the rest? I wouldn't mind getting one more to make the set slightly longer...
I wouldn't know but I do know that we have plenty of experts here that do. Maybe one is Trackmaster and the other is Tomy?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Super, the longer clarabel is from the steam along thomas. The annie is powered.
Proud owner of Tomy/Plarail trains. Cool
Interesting! Perhaps I would be better off getting the Annie carriage then - so all of the coaches in the set match?

I presume the Thomas has a battery oil smoker in?
Oh I should mention that annie powers thomas smoke unit as well and pushs him.
(03-08-2015, 06:50 PM)George_Gipping Wrote: I presume the Thomas has a battery oil smoker in?
The steam is produced from distilled water.

(03-08-2015, 05:48 PM)George_Gipping Wrote: And that's it so far - now need to clean, prime, and paint these. Does anyone have any advice on which paints work best without chipping etc. I imagine most paints won't take too well to the polished surfaces, so any prep tips appreciated.
Use Halfords (if in UK) grey primer in a spray can first. See reviews - mostly scale modellers singing its praises.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2015, 07:07 PM by chrisjo.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • George_Gipping
Good job it's a Sunday and no one is in the office...

.jpg   Office.jpg (Size: 164.02 KB / Downloads: 182)
[-] The following 1 user Likes George_Gipping's post:
  • Super
And so the modding begins...