Custom Plakids

9 Replies, 10550 Views

Has anyone made their own Plakids of people/characters, in the same way custom engines/rolling stock are made?

If so, feel free to post them here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • sunhuntin
Interesting question. I think Sunhuntin was talking about doing something a while back to some PlaKids. The only thing I have done is to reposition arms to give the feeling of waving, hand shaking, carrying something, reaching or walking.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
i was going to, but never got around to it yet and likely wont bother either. would be tricky getting the images small enough while still being easily "seen".
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
Forgive me for my ignorance but what's the deal with these Plakids? Aren't they just … little plastic kids? Please don't misunderstand me. I admit that they are cute and do add some 'fun' to the 'cities' we build. Smile I have two of them from more than 10 years ago and I'm not sure if they're still the same. I don't even remember how much I paid for the set in which I got them in.

How much do these Plakids cost now (online, ebay, etc.)? How many do each of you have?

About the custom Plakids, do the current ones allow their heads to be pulled off? What about their legs or arms? I think my Plakids only turn their head.

If you were to do custom Plakids, are you going to be taking official Plakids and just working off them? Or do you get Lego ones or some other source of small… plastic… kids…?

-plarnold
i like the variety available. i dont even know how many different ones there are, but it must be hundreds at least! i do have some duplicates, but dont mind at all.

i havent used them much in layouts, but one i did used every one i have and they were very popular with members of the public.

if i were to customise, i would not disassemble. maybe a coat of paint and then a small printed picture with a few layers of varnish to seal. they would be genuine plakids, likely ones that have poor paint condition.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
We probably have between 200 and 300 PlaKids maybe more. Of course many are duplicates. I know of a seller on Ebay that sells new ones for about $1 apiece of course he is limited in his selection. You can find them occasionally listed on Ebay U.S. inexpensively. They are more sought after on the Japan auctions and the prices get to be pretty high especially in bulk. There are also accessories that come with some like shopping carts, frypans, cake slices, cookie/pizza cart and we recently saw bicycles that Sunhuntin noticed in a video. I also wish I knew exactly how many different variations there are. Would be interesting to know. As far as removing, pulling off, any parts, I have not seen that. When I want a different pose I have to cut off the part and Super Glue it back where I want it.
Cut and super glue? :O

Poor Plakids. I suppose you can only do it a set number of times before the Plakid is too 'cut up'.

-plarnold
[-] The following 1 user Likes plarnold's post:
  • Super
The arms are easy to cut using an Exacto knife. You don't cut the arms themselves, just the post that connects the arms together through the body. I want to give the legs a go to spread them to look like a walking stride.
Some of the Plakids have hats and back packs. Are those removable now?
My Plakid conductor has a hat but it can't be removed.

-plarnold
I have many Plakids with hats and one with a backpack none of which are removable.