Box of Broken Engines...

7 Replies, 8101 Views

Being quite happy 'fettling' I bit the bullet and bid on a box of 'locomotives for spares or repairs', spending in the end £10.49 + postage on them. I figured maybe some would need new motors, some might be tatty but have some useful spares etc... But regardless it was worth a punt.

Well they arrived today and boy am I glad I went for it, in the box were the following (along with their faults);

Spencer - Missing his traction tyres but otherwise fully functional
Donald (no 9) - Perfect working order
Duck - Broken coupling
Ben - Disloged coupling (will just need opening and re-seating)
Salty - 1 missing push rod, otherwise fine
Percy - Missing coupling
Henry - Missing the tender coal cover, otherwise fine

Motorised carriage from Harvey - Split or missing drive cog, otherwise runs

The only ones DOA and needing further investigation are;

Devious Diesel
Mavis Diesel
James
Murdoch

But all of the engines in the box apart from the mentioned faults are in excellent if not mint condition. All-in-all a superb purchase in my eyes Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • ROCKINATOR
I love "junk" purchases. Way to go Nigels
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
These are the best. I love when they list them for parts and there is really nothing wrong with them. Good score..
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Super
Sometimes all you need to do is to unscrew the engine and remount them
The hardest to repair are those with the battery located in the tender section as you have to solder the wires to the metal plate.
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • Super
(07-17-2015, 12:09 AM)leylandvictory2 Wrote: Sometimes all you need to do is to unscrew the engine and remount them
The hardest to repair are those with the battery located in the tender section as you have to solder the wires to the metal plate.

Especially the talking ones or the ones with the one single wire (which contains several little wires) mostly the talking or r/c ones. But I agree a lot of times it is just reseating the engine or battery clip corrosion, etc... It is always a treasure hunt to see what works and what doesn't..
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Super
(07-17-2015, 12:15 AM)ripley802 Wrote: Especially the talking ones or the ones with the one single wire (which contains several little wires) mostly the talking or r/c ones. But I agree a lot of times it is just reseating the engine or battery clip corrosion, etc... It is always a treasure hunt to see what works and what doesn't..

Thanks for the tips guys, may save me some time, I don't suppose either of you know how to get to the drive axle on the 'talk and action' Thomas do you? I got one that works perfectly except its got a slippy gear. I've had a go at disassembling the carriage but can't find out how to get the assembly out to get to the axle Smile

Cheers, Nigel
Which one is it? I've fixed Percy and James for broken gears.

Percy is harder than James because you'll have to remove the axle of the wheel from the wheel.

-plarnold

(07-17-2015, 07:47 AM)Nigels Wrote: Thanks for the tips guys, may save me some time, I don't suppose either of you know how to get to the drive axle on the 'talk and action' Thomas do you? I got one that works perfectly except its got a slippy gear. I've had a go at disassembling the carriage but can't find out how to get the assembly out to get to the axle Smile

Cheers, Nigel
It's the Talking Thomas train Plarnold, the one with the 3 batteries in the carriage and wires to the motor in the engine which activates sound and action using the green track pieces.