Alternative Thomas...

7 Replies, 11909 Views

I saw this the other day and couldn't resist getting it. Basically it is a Hornby produced battery powered Thomas/Annie/Clarabell train.

The scale is a little smaller than HO and quite a bit smaller than Tomy/Trackmaster, however apart from this it is nicely detailed as you'd expect from Hornby.

On this train the motor is in the Annie coach and features both forward and reverse running. The battery is fitted by pushing up a little 'door' on the rear of the carriage and the battery simply slides inside, nice and easy.

Other nice features are metal push rods as opposed to plastic ones along with illustrated figures fitted to 'populate' the coaches and all detail being painted rather than stickers.

Although the gauge prevents it from naturally running on Tomy track as the Hornby is simply too narrow it can run on the track using one of the outer rails and the 'centre' of the Tomy track. Although having said that it would naturally have issues with any points etc and may have problems on some corners - if I get to test it more extensively I'll report back.

Anyway so you can see what its like I've taken some pictures of Thomas & Annie along with some 'comparison' pictures of Thomas with a Tomy example so you can see the difference in size and details.

Anyway first some of the Hornby Thomas;

[Image: DSC00095.jpg]
[Image: DSC00096.jpg]

Now a few comparison shots of Hornby Battery Thomas (Top or Right) and Tomy Thomas (Bottom or Left);

[Image: DSC00097.jpg]
[Image: DSC00098.jpg]
[Image: DSC00100.jpg]

Finally a few of Hornby 'Annie' illustrating the general look, battery compartment and running wheels;

[Image: DSC00101.jpg]
[Image: DSC00102.jpg]
[Image: DSC00103.jpg]
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • sunhuntin
I recognize that from a set based on "Thomas and Bertie".
Thanks Nigels

Do they sell tracks just for this train to run on or might it just be made to run around on the floor. I don't see any type of grips on the wheels does it slip much? Those metal side rods are interesting. Thanks for sharing.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I have seen listings of red plastic track that looks fundamentally like the Trackmaster track, but presumably smaller gauge. The middle carriage (the motorised one) does have traction tyres like a Tomy locomotive and at least on a straight piece of Tomy track works fine using one of the outer rails and the centre - bit like an Advance Minus lol...

Its a shame its not the same gauge as Tomy as the engine is quite detailed and well constructed...
Thanks Nigels

Wonder if that large white gear on the axle of the coach also assists the train in some accessory track apparatus?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Yes this is a great little train!!
And a shame it can't run on tomy trackSad
The molded Annie & Clarabelle faces are the best looking issues released by anyone!!
It's just such a shame and a waste that it has no real useSad
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes MuddyPoppins's post:
  • Super
(07-18-2015, 09:25 PM)Super Wrote: Thanks Nigels

Wonder if that large white gear on the axle of the coach also assists the train in some accessory track apparatus?

Not that I'm aware of, that is just the axle cog - no split gears on this motor methinks Smile But if I do hear of anything I'll let you know Smile
I don't know if this is of any interest, but I think the Thomas set two minutes into these ads is the one you have parts of.

Here's a link right to the ad on YouTube, couldn't get it to play from the two minute mark on here.
As DalaGStanator said, it's based of Thomas and Bertie's great race, and uses red TOMY-looking track like Nigels mentioned. It doesn't look like the white gear does anything.
I have a website where I have been writing about and photographing many of the sets and pieces that I find interesting.