Modifying Tracks

3 Replies, 3742 Views

I think I've seen posts in the past about people modifying track to make them look more realistic or similar (although I couldn't find them after so I may have dreamt it).

However I just saw something on a PlaRail group on FB that caught my attention. Basically from what I could gather from the automatic translation this guy has been using a special rust-oleum 'Sand Stone' spray (see pic 1) to improve the traction on slopes for his PlaRail advance trains. Now if this does work as well as he claims it is not only useful, but from what I can see makes them look way cool as well. Anyway here's the 4 pics from his post, let me know what you think or if you've tried such things Smile

[Image: 2.jpg]

[Image: 1.jpg]

[Image: 4.jpg]

[Image: 3.jpg]
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Nigels's post:
  • ActionChugger, ROCKINATOR, Super
@Nigels,

The colours of that person's painted rails are a bit off.
He also needs the friction because he isn't using the slope rails for Plarail Advance.

If you've laid out a large Plarail Advance layout, you will actually find that blue quite pleasant and fitting. I find that if everything in a layout is grey, it actually makes it less realistic. Good grey and blue balance is important for Plarail. Smile This is my opinion anyway.

-plarnold
Nice idea and they do look good. I wonder how long it will stay adhered. I have had no luck with all the tests I have had with painting tracks. Some methods were better than others but eventually started to crack. Used the best plastic paints with the best plastic primers and several different procedures for prepping the track including that which is used to spray paint fiberglass car bumpers with less than perfect results. It was a lot of trouble and in my opinion not worth the trouble. That all being said, I have not used this textured paint and maybe with the right prep and very light coat it may well prove to be lasting. Thanks for sharing Nigels. Smile
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
That was my thoughts too Super, I think it actually looks pretty cool too as well as useful if you do get more traction.

As it happens I was in a store today and saw a similar spray, same maker, but slightly different colour. So I bought a can and will when I get some time have a play as I got plenty of spare track lol!

I'll let you know how it goes when I've had a go... Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super