New Plarail C-58 Steam Train

25 Replies, 29399 Views

Because Sunhuntin linked us to a new Disney Train at Hobby Search I also was looking around and noticed this new C-58 Steam train late April. She is a beauty and must be to others to as its already on a waiting list. I am confused as it says "3 Car Set" in the title but the picture doesn't show the third and the description may or may not allude to only two?

I am having trouble locating the real train. The title of this model says "Kyoto Railway Museum" so I assume that the release of this Plarail version coincides with either the opening of the museum or the opening of this display at the museum. I can find pictures and such about the JR C-58 engines but nit this exact release with that neat drumhead and smoke deflector graphics.. Anyone else have better luck?

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10372615
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • sunhuntin
(03-03-2016, 02:02 AM)Super Wrote: The title of this model says "Kyoto Railway Museum" so I assume that the release of this Plarail version coincides with either the opening of the museum or the opening of this display at the museum.
Takara Tomy Mall and Chrome translator to the rescue again (the C58 is also coming in a combined set with other museum trains)...

"Kyoto Railway Museum scheduled to open in 2016 spring.
A popular vehicle that has been exhibited in the museum were collected under one roof.
Motor vehicle There are two types, contains the retired while being spared in 2015, "Twilight Express" and the steam locomotive to represent the Kyoto Railway Museum "C62 2 Unit".
Others will enter the "500 series Shinkansen," "103 series Osaka Loop Line"."

Further digging...

Kyoto Railway Museum

And here's the C58
[Image: model_c58-1.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • HankAmericanEngine
thats a good looking train! will have to look for one on jauce.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
Thanks for the info Chrisjo

So the museum hasn't officially opened yet. Holy cow!!!! Are they going to have ALL those Steam Trains there???...WOW!

These Plarail trains releases will probably coincide with the opening. I did see that other multi train pack for the museum with the more common trains at Hobby Search too http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10372620. I am very interested in a new designed train as this C58-1 Steam Engine is. Plarail released the only other C-58 not too long ago in the C58 `SL Ginga` Set 6-Car Set which we have and love. http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10298493 But this museum release C-58-1 looks to be different and way more detailed than the Ginga C-58-239 (see pictures). Thats probably not a working headlight as the description makes no reference but one can hope. Wonder what the pretty shell like drum head signifies?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • anc6802, HankAmericanEngine
(03-03-2016, 07:33 PM)Super Wrote: Wonder what the pretty shell like drum head signifies?
That would be a chrysanthemum flower, a symbol of the Japanese Emperor and Imperial Family, so this C58 would have carried it when it was pulling an Imperial Train.

[Image: img_2?1327227763]

The symbol on the 'blinker' is a phoenix, also adopted as a symbol of the imperial household, particularly the Empress.

[Image: E655%E3%81%8A%E5%8F%AC%E3%81%97%E5%88%97%E8%BB%8A.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • HankAmericanEngine, ripley802
The Kyoto Railway Museum will open in March 2016.

Originally called the "Umekouji Steam Locomotive Museum", it was closed down last year for renovations and is renamed the Kyoto Railway Museum.

JR West and JR East have this friendly competition on who can have the best railway museum in Japan. Meanwhile, there is JR Central with the Nagoya Linear Railway Museum with the high speed series train sets including prototype Linear Motor Cars (Maglev) train sets.

-plarnold
[-] The following 1 user Likes plarnold's post:
  • ripley802
(03-04-2016, 09:08 AM)chrisjo Wrote: [Image: E655%E3%81%8A%E5%8F%AC%E3%81%97%E5%88%97%E8%BB%8A.jpg]

Do they make a Plarail version of this one? That is a very nice looking train. Big Grin
(03-04-2016, 09:08 AM)chrisjo Wrote: That would be a chrysanthemum flower, a symbol of the Japanese Emperor and Imperial Family, so this C58 would have carried it when it was pulling an Imperial Train.

The symbol on the 'blinker' is a phoenix, also adopted as a symbol of the imperial household, particularly the Empress.

How cool is that. Very interesting information on the Emperor. Looking at your second picture I assume that the chrysanthemum and phoenix symbols would be shown on any train the Imperial Family rode in or is that a special modern train just for them? It looks pretty cool, do you know what series it is?. Thank you very much for all the information.

(03-04-2016, 10:09 AM)plarnold Wrote: The Kyoto Railway Museum will open in March 2016.

Originally called the "Umekouji Steam Locomotive Museum", it was closed down last year for renovations and is renamed the Kyoto Railway Museum.

JR West and JR East have this friendly competition on who can have the best railway museum in Japan. Meanwhile, there is JR Central with the Nagoya Linear Railway Museum with the high speed series train sets including prototype Linear Motor Cars (Maglev) train sets.

-plarnold

That is so cool having two companies vying for the best Railroad Museum. That can't be to cheap to create and the maintenance and the very size of the property involved would cost quite a lot. I would definitely add these Museums to any trip I would be lucky to take to Japan. Thank you Plarnold for the information.
(03-04-2016, 12:40 PM)Super Wrote: ...is that a special modern train just for them? It looks pretty cool, do you know what series it is?
JR East Series 655 EMU

Kato make it in N scale but no Plarail AFAIK.
That is an awesome looking train. Are you listening Plarail? How about a Limited Edition, Event Exclusive release of an Imperial Royal Series 655. I am putting myself on the waiting list now. Thanks Chrisjo.

Here is a link to the Kato N Scale Model which looks great. http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10198617