Plarail Disney Monorail sets, worth it?

31 Replies, 31319 Views

So I have been seeing several of the Plarail Dianey resort limited units on the Japan auctions. Some seem to be sets while others are just individual. I found a few lots that seemed like great deals but in trying to read the translations it looks like most are broken. Are these units prone to gear issues? Anyone have luck repairing them if so?

Is there a good resource for listing the different ones an maybe which ones would be rare? I really like the 30 year limited edition one so far which has a lot of the Disney characters on it as opposed to the ones with the basic ears/Mickey head.

Thoughts?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Super
Just a warning, I bought a new old stock and the gears broke during the first minute of running. Gear might have been brittle due to age.

Evan did enjoy it just pushing it around the track Blush
Evan Almighty and His Train Collection
[Image: banner12.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like ActionChugger's post:
  • ripley802, Super
Hmmm.... I wonder if it has anything to do with them tending to wobble around the rail maybe putting undue pressure on the gears. The wobbling that is so noticeable in these over-rail Monorails is why I never bought one. That is until the latest Event Exclusive, Tokyo Monorail 10000 released in 2015. I have one new in the box which is the next rework of the layout probably after this next video. It will run over the top of the current hanging Monorail line.

I always hoped Plarail would fix the wobble issue and by the looks of the videos seen on YouTube, they have with the Limited release Tokyo 10000. I am still hoping they do a re-release of a Disney Monorail with the fix. But what I really wish is for them to make a Disneyland Monorail Red Mark VII or Blue Mark VII.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/pla...zilla&tt=b

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/pla...zilla&tt=b
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • ripley802
(04-01-2016, 11:45 AM)ActionChugger Wrote: Just a warning, I bought a new old stock and the gears broke during the first minute of running. Gear might have been brittle due to age.

Evan did enjoy it just pushing it around the track Blush

Wow. Yeah I was wondering, because almost all of the used ones seem to report they turn on but then do not move, or make a grinding noise. I have no doubt I could possibly fix it, but will they keep breaking? ... Maybe.. Maybe if I find a good deal on a lot or something I guess they would still be worth a shot.
  • Super
A lot will depend on the gears used, if they are off the shelf ones then it could be possible to fix them once you figure out what the weaknesss is. But if they are Tomy specific gears like it seems the battery terminals are it could be a bit stickier Big Grin
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Well, I bid on 4 sets recently and was outbid on all 4..Undecided. Guess it was not meant to be. Leaves more to spend on other thing now.. Lol.. Already mad the deposit. No sense in refunding it back, right.. Big Grin
  • Super
Now that would be silly, I'm sure there are some other pink/girlie plarails you could get Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like Nigels's post:
  • ripley802, sunhuntin, Super
(05-17-2016, 08:01 AM)Nigels Wrote: Now that would be silly, I'm sure there are some other pink/girlie plarails you could get Wink

Lol.. That is true.. Or maybe that D51 real steam.. Big Grin
  • Super
or one of the new non-wobbly mono-rails if the budget stretches as you don't need to go up/down slopes like super do you?
(05-17-2016, 01:49 PM)Nigels Wrote: or one of the new non-wobbly mono-rails if the budget stretches as you don't need to go up/down slopes like super do you?

Slopes would be cool, but not entirely needed. That said are the no-wobbly ones non-Disney?