Talk n Action "American Accent" James

21 Replies, 20904 Views

Ok. So this was the last one I needed, that I know of for the TnA range. There are a few other items that I would like to get like the buildings with TnA track attached. Anyway so this one I have heard of but had never seen one or even seen anything on YouTube for it. I was assuming it came in a standard box by itself like the others, but is it possible it came in a set? The lot I purchased had lots of colored track, see video. Also some risers, bridge, and other things. The lot also had a TnA Thomas so it could be part of that to I suppose.

So, I will say I am glad "I" found and won this one, for two reasons. 1.) being that I did not have it and was stoked when the seller confirmed it was the American Accent. 2.) although it was not listed, it had some major issues. I have a feeling that someone else may have sent him to the scrap heap. When looking at the pictures it looked in great shape. It was said to be working too. Here is what I had to do.
- replaced the shell on the engine. I had a spare, but the corner was broken off the one I received.
- tires were stuck in the wheel, like fell off and were jammed in the wheel well.
- stripped/cracked axel
- and here is the big one. So there was sound but the engine would not come on. I replaced the engine, wires to the motherboard, and still nothing. I swapped out he two capacitors, and still nothing. Finally I swapped out a little black part on the motherboard and then it started working.

Anyway. I tried my hand at a video. This is the first one I have done and there is no editing obviously. Big Grin. The engine is a bit loud so it is hard to hear each of the phrases. Also on the last track it is #5 again, for some reason I had 2 of them and not a #6 piece.

Here it is.
http://s300.photobucket.com/user/dawsona...7.mp4.html

Also. For the electronic buffs out there. What is this. This is the piece that seemed to cause the issue. I put it next to a tire for reference.
[Image: BE3A5BC6-CBB7-42A2-8CC9-4C4DBA17C869_zpsr7bo48bm.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • DalaGStanator
LOL...speed track switching Smile
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • ripley802
Awesome!!! I've waited a very long time to hear that voice!! Thank you Rip...you've got it running splendidly VERY fast for a TnASmile Great find and job w/ himSmile
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
About time someone found one! Pity the voice is difficult to hear while it's running, though. It really doesn't sound anything like Alec Baldwin nor George Carlin.
Looks like that is a transistor or maybe a current switch which may explain why it ran after you switched it. I never knew you were into fixing the circuit boards too Andrew Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
(04-17-2016, 03:02 AM)Muddy Poppins Wrote: Awesome!!! I've waited a very long time to hear that voice!! Thank you Rip...you've got it running splendidly VERY fast for a TnASmile Great find and job w/ himSmile

Thanks Muddy. You were definately an inspiration in the "collect them all," although this was just the TnA range for me.

(04-17-2016, 06:44 AM)DalaGStanator Wrote: About time someone found one! Pity the voice is difficult to hear while it's running, though. It really doesn't sound anything like Alec Baldwin nor George Carlin.

Yeah, it it tough to hear, but a lot of that is the gear/motor noise. Up close, to me it does sound like Alex Baldwin. I will try and get some better sound from him.

(04-17-2016, 08:53 AM)Nigels Wrote: Looks like that is a transistor or maybe a current switch which may explain why it ran after you switched it. I never knew you were into fixing the circuit boards too Andrew Smile

Thanks Nigel. Yeah I don't know a ton about the different parts of ther circuit boards but after enough troubleshooting I was glad to get it working.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2016, 11:34 AM by ripley802.)
[-] The following 3 users Like ripley802's post:
  • DalaGStanator, MuddyPoppins, Super
Andrew, pm me the part number on the part and I'll find out what it is, always good to know so we can source spares if needed Wink
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Yes!!...the satisfaction of self-accomplishment with tenacious perseverance!! Big Grin ...but it's also ok to accept help too, so please do keep a open eye out for me!! Big Grin
It's the only one I'm missing... :/
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes MuddyPoppins's post:
  • ripley802
(04-19-2016, 05:11 AM)Muddy Poppins Wrote: Yes!!...the satisfaction of self-accomplishment with tenacious perseverance!! Big Grin ...but it's also ok to accept help too, so please do keep a open eye out for me!! Big Grin
It's the only one I'm missing... :/

I certainly will. I am always on the lookout for these, so if I find them I try to snap them up. You would be first on my list if I find another one. Wink. This is only the second TnA James I have seen on eBay US. The other one was in a lot with a TnA D10 which were both Japanese accent, that I won.

I got lucky with this one though, as I would not have purchased, but asked he seller if he knew what accent they had, American, English, etc... He mentioned it was American, so I offered a BIN, and after a few back and fourths, we came to an agreement.
[-] The following 2 users Like ripley802's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, sunhuntin
@ripley802,

That is an NPN transistor (8050S) that is used in the train to amplify the audio signals for the speaker.

-plarnold
[-] The following 1 user Likes plarnold's post:
  • Super