Tomy trains 2 speed gearbox repair

6 Replies, 6425 Views

Hi There

I recently bought some blue track which came with some Tomy trains from eBay, however, the trains didn't move (motors work) what I've found is that some of the gears have split in the gearbox.

Can someone advise as to whether these things are repairable or if new gearboxes can be bought somewhere.

Cheers

RockE

[Image: Tomy_zpstwqx5qd2.png]
you can buy the motor from ebay or something. I just simply harvest the entire motor off a duplicate train. it is pretty easy. Before you pull the entire motor out, look at how it is installed in the first place. The metal plate on the motor has to installed in a particular way.
okay thanks, I'll try and find some.
This style is a bit more difficult to work on then the flat drive or other style motors. I typically de-solder the motor first otherwise you cannot remove the two sides very easy. Good luck with it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • DalaGStanator
Does the motor run but the train does not move or slips? My experience with these is that it is very common for the axle gear to split resulting in the motor still running but slipping on the axle. This often happens because little hands are holding the train still while its running or trying to force it to free wheel when the motor switch is on even without a battery. Is this what is happening? I have not come across any of the gears inside the motor housing splitting on these styles. I have only seen split gears inside the motor housing on one type of Plarail motor and that is exclusive to the western style steam engines.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator
Hi There

The motors run in both cases, I've just realised one of the trains has a single speed box, I don't have a star screwdriver to open that one.

The single speed slips, occasionally it will move a little then the slipping crunch noise happens. The other 2 speed one just makes that noise with no movement.

I had thought that perhaps I could fix the gears so that there is no slippage I'd just have to make sure I was around the kids when they were playing with them so they didn't destroy the trains motors. However since the two speed box has two split gears then perhaps not.

I've not seen a single gearbox up for sale, I had hoped Tomy would have sold these as spares since they seem a unit, or someone would have made metal gears as a replacement.

I have enough blue track to justify buying a couple of new trains from eBay, I'll be making sure they don't use them unless I'm around.

Cheers
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2016, 10:52 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes RockE's post:
  • DalaGStanator
The gear in question that slips is more than likely the one that is on the axles which are separate from the motors themselves. These can be repaired but Tomy did not make replacement parts and you will have a hard time finding parts for sale on Ebay especially in the States. The triangle screwdrivers are available on Ebay pretty cheaply and migh come in handy if you plan on more trains in the future. As far as the children playing with them, these trains are pretty tough and are made to be played and can take a lot of punishment. As long as they are taught that holding them in place while the motors are running is bad for them they can play away. See your Private Messages for more information.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]