A Disturbing New Trend...

5 Replies, 4802 Views

While browsing around Jauce I noticed a couple of new Tomy PlaRail sets, admittedly at a very reasonable price, but here's the worrying bit. In both cases all the accessories, PlaKids, Trees, Station, Gantry, etc... rather than being the moulded plastic like we're used to are simply cardboard cut-outs with bases. Sad

Is this the way Tomy is going to keep costs down? Seems a little stupid if you ask me, this is really not the way to go, it would be better to add a couple of bucks to the cost if necessary rather than de-value the sets like this don't you think?

Dr Yellow

E6 Shinkansen
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
That "station" for the Shinkansen set is what really gets to me.....Dodgy
Yes, it is a shame. I know we talked about this crazy cardboard junk earlier this year when the two sets you are referring to were announced but I can't find the thread. Should also be noted the newly released "Rail Set For Big Turn Table Base" http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10384600 also has cardboard characters and stations pictured below. Your post got me thinking to what may have been the last set that that had the real PlaKids included and all I can come up with is the DX Crossing set released in August of 2015 which looks to include quite a few. http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10322546 . There may have been an individual train or two that came with a kid also. Maybe someone has more they know of.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Hi Super,

I know it was discussed earlier in the year, but at that time we were speculating maybe they were only prototypes and the 'real' ones would have the normal plastic figures etc... But even then I don't recall the station etc... being cardboard as well, but that could just be me getting old lol!

What with these and the recent Star Wars train debacle its all a bit depressing, maybe we should start bombarding them with comments before they decide to go further down this route.

The really odd thing though is that the 'standard' PlaRail seems to be getting dumbed down more and more yet at the same time we're seeing some really cool and detailed things coming for the Advance product line?!? It makes you wonder if the head of PlaRail has moved over to Advance and some 'suit' has moved in to run the PlaRail line...
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
I wish i had gotten some Pla-kids. All i have is a stationmaster and he's been lost for a while now.
I seriously hope this is not what will become of this iconic brand. That would be like if LEGO redesigned the Minifigure or the brick. You don't just get rid of something that's been a hallmark ever since you've been around. Please, Nigels' assumption, be correct.