Your favourite train!

35 Replies, 48107 Views

Heres mine the Class 37 workhorse from here in the Uk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_37

And a video of one which hauls the Railtours we have here in the Uk showing her depart Oban in the West of Scotland on the famous and most beautiful West Highland line ! I was lucky to see her as we moved here from Oban 8 months ago after living in a loch ....Enjoy the video,turn up the speakers and listen to her magnificent sound!

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=1&ved=0CDoQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8iGHlGIdlms&ei=rr17U-KnOrDo7Ab5o4HoCg&usg=AFQjCNG_G4kr-SaAzYro1TX3RZY7hlLeGw&sig2=ndnEIzmj6zRMZ4EBsSLR1w&bvm=bv.67229260,d.ZGU

At 2mins 36 is when she leaves Ardlui a small station which is very important as it has a passing loop,the North bound and Southbound trains meet here to continue on to Glasgow Central or Northwards to Oban or Fort William,the engine noise is well,i cant describe it ...its one i know from a little boy listening to the TPO travelling on the West Coast main line as she pulls off...absolutely magnificent! Also remember travelling behind them on the football specials in the 70s/80s when a lot of the fans over here travelled by train to the games.

Soon after this bit is the Jacobite Express passing over the Glenfinnan viaduct ...made famous in Harry Potter...as she progresses down from Fort William to Mallaig.....
GNER BRITAINS FINEST RAILWAY COMPANY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkBKd_lF4e0
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014, 09:21 PM by Chrisf1961.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chrisf1961's post:
  • Super
Great topic Chris

I thought we had one like this before but it must have been on the other site. Are you looking for favorite real train or model?

I don't think I have heard a train sounding like the Class 37. Is it diesel?, is it gasoline? I watch another video and it has the popcorn sound. Black smoke, gray fumes. Very different.

In real trains as in our models its no secret that my favorites are F-Units seen HERE (one more Amtrak is not pictured) and all the olden American steam engines, either wood or coal. I do like all steam engines from around the world but I am not that fond of the ones that have the wings on them but they are nice ones too. Not sure why the rest of the world has so many steamers with the wings but not the vintage American ones.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Chrisf1961
Yea its a diesel/electric, mainly did a lot of hard graft up here on the network in the Old British Rail days,a real workhorse. Yes should have said real trains but hey lets throw models in as well!

Love the old American trains brought up on Casey Jones on the tv!

Will take a look at your link .....

My god,they look fantastic!

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014, 09:17 PM by Chrisf1961.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chrisf1961's post:
  • Super
I have a few and they are/were all local to where I live in Victoria Australia, All are former Victorian railways locos.

Victorian railways B class Diesel electric. 5'3"
[Image: B67VRDynon201085CJN.jpg]

V/line A class (B class was upgraded in the 1980's) 5'3"
[Image: New_VLine_Livery_A66.jpg]

Good old class 08 Diesel shunter, this is one of the many we had. 5'3"
[Image: 1979302_1392356271045593_1587116618069142313_o.jpg]

Puffing billy railway NA class Baldwin narrow gauge 2'6"
[Image: Na1-Lyn-Colour2.jpg]

Victorian railways R class 4-6-4 hudson, built in england 5'3"
[Image: R707-loco-victorian-railways.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Ucwepn's post:
  • HankAmericanEngine, Super
I have can't say just 1 engine, I have a few. I love Jintys, I adore the Union Pacific Challenger, and wish to one day see it, and I love the smaller steam locomotives like Pug's! I also like the mid steam mixed traffic engine, and I think that's why when I was younger, I liked James so much, as well as Percy with Pug's. I have only seen a Pug run once at a train convention, but never a mixed traffic engine. And I think you could have guessed I loved Tank Engines as well Smile. My favorite diesel locomotives are the Victorian Class B, and the Diesel Shunters. Diesel D199 is the other train that it is based of, although I can't remember it's name.
From Thomas To Today's Modern Diesels, They're All A Part Of My Rail-Yard!
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014, 11:29 PM by Trackmaster-Rail-Yard.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Trackmaster-Rail-Yard's post:
  • Super
That Class 08 looks very similar to the ones here in the UK. Were they exported then to Australia?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Penybontshed's post:
  • Super
Great looking trains guys! yes the Class 08 is one of our very own im sure the British Rail Shunter

http://www.thomasandfriends.com/en-gb/en...axton.html

Its our very own 08 Paxton! this engine haunts me as i have to do his voice every day in little stories Bens makes up on his Take n Play!

(This post was last modified: 05-21-2014, 08:05 PM by Chrisf1961.)
Yes they were imported to us from England same as the R class. Remember these are 5'3" broad gauge locos too not 4'8" standard gauge like Great Britain and the USA Tongue Much of our interstate network has been converted to standard gauge these days though but our domestic electric trains and many smaller branch lines remain broad gauge.
I found a very nice picture and I have all of these locos as plarail customs! Its amazing to see them all on the same consist with a very heavy grain train battling up a steep hill, if I could get get suitable tarps to cover the trucks I could recreate this scene Big Grin

[Image: 10382215_229516590577002_1014153269570868598_o.jpg]

"Probably one of the most famous of all VR publicity photos was that of a B, "flattie" T and an R class battling Warrenheip Bank with a Geelong bound wheatie, comprising an all red GY consist."
[-] The following 3 users Like Ucwepn's post:
  • DalaGStanator, HankAmericanEngine, Super
That is an excellent picture combining diesel with steam. Was there a date to it? I wonder if any toy army tents from any of the toy army playsets would fit or can be modified for the tarps.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]