Solar Eclipse 2017

10 Replies, 8996 Views

Wondering if anyone witness the solar eclipse today?

Me and Evan saw a glimpse of a partial solar eclipse on the east coast USA. I was worried that we would not since it was cloudy. But at the last few minutes, it cleared enough.

We brought a Lego Bugatti Chiron to view Big Grin
[Image: 20170822.jpg]
[Image: 20170823.jpg]
Evan Almighty and His Train Collection
[Image: banner12.jpg]
[-] The following 6 users Like ActionChugger's post:
  • drewbenn, fred16850, mod thana, MuddyPoppins, ripley802, Super
I forgot all about it. Blush Glad that you got to do this with Evan and hopefully he will remember it when he gets older if another eclipse comes by then.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • ActionChugger, MuddyPoppins
Quote:Future total solar eclipses will cross the United States in April 2024 (12 states) and August 2045 (10 states), and annular solar eclipses—meaning the apparent size of the Moon is smaller than that of the Sun—will occur in October 2023 (9 states) and June 2048 (9 states).
[-] The following 1 user Likes ActionChugger's post:
  • Super
Not sure if I'll be around then but I have marked my calendar Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
My daughter and I got to see it at a neighbor's house because he'd borrowed a replacement welding mask glass from work. I was sorry to find that my son's school did NOTHING eclipse related and in fact kept them inside all day so the kids wouldn't look at the sun.
[-] The following 3 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • ActionChugger, MuddyPoppins, Super
I too live in the East Coast United States and was able to see about 70-80% coverage. It was quite an interesting phenomenon...

[Image: 24pwgg3.jpg]

(This one was taken by my sister a bit before peak coverage was reached).
[-] The following 5 users Like fred16850's post:
  • ActionChugger, drewbenn, Off The Rails, Super, Tharazero1
It was a lot of fun! I stayed home so we could all watch together. We got about 90% coverage here. I went kind of crazy for the event and got a special filter for my camera and set it up on a tripod. Here's one picture I took near our maximum, if you look real close you can see a couple sunspots near the lower-left of the sun (they're the dark spots that make it look like your monitor is a little dirty Cool )

[Image: eclipse2017.jpg]
[-] The following 6 users Like drewbenn's post:
  • ActionChugger, fred16850, Off The Rails, ripley802, Super, Tharazero1
Great photos all, thanks for sharing. Could you imagine what ancient man thought about this and how many had their eyes burned from looking right at it?
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • drewbenn, fred16850
The news about the solar clips was all over the Australian news this morning. It truly looked spectacular (from pictures). In Australia our next solar eclipse happens in 2028 and passes right over Sydney for everyone to see
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tharazero1's post:
  • drewbenn