Layout problems

14 Replies, 13062 Views

Right now I have very few blue track but tons of engines, and I have no space to build even 5 straights, what do I do? Sad
Take old broken TOMY and Trackmaster trains to scrap and use them for spare parts if you are in need!
[-] The following 2 users Like TheArrivaPerson's post:
  • mod thana, Super
Im not sure, you could try to use more curves than straight tracks or y points so you fill up the layout, hope this problem will be solved
From Blueberry'S'
Keep on collecting Cool
[-] The following 3 users Like Blueberry'S''s post:
  • mod thana, ripley802, Super
Also you could go up with a second layer or more using sloped rails and or sloped curves, risers and possibly bridges.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 4 users Like Super's post:
  • Blueberry'S', fred16850, mod thana, ripley802
(08-24-2017, 10:19 AM)TheArrivaPerson Wrote: Right now I have very few blue track but tons of engines, and I have no space to build even 5 straights, what do I do? Sad

Guess just try make the inside or middle of the layout the most congested
it can be. Then you have a nice little layout
[-] The following 2 users Like Tharazero1's post:
  • mod thana, Super
You may want to invest in more tracks; a quick search on eBay will find you lots for a not bad price. Try to also find siding and switch possibilities in addition to using risers. It would probably be better to use the risers that allow for another train to pass under given your situation in lieu of the risers that look like squished frustums (pretty bad way of describing them) Confused

Here are pictures instead.

These:

[Image: s-l300.jpg]

Instead of these:

[Image: thomas-train-trackmaster-tomy-bridge-tre...b82d6f.jpg]

And if it's still tough to make space for a layout that feels substantial enough, maybe check out Plarail Advance? These are just suggestions but I hope you figure out what you can do for your layout. Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like fred16850's post:
  • DalaGStanator, mod thana, Super
Maybe the whole second layer thing is good. Are spirals any good?
Take old broken TOMY and Trackmaster trains to scrap and use them for spare parts if you are in need!
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheArrivaPerson's post:
  • Super
Just like countries with very little space, you either go up or down.

Going up should be a better idea because home owners generally do not appreciate nor tolerate underground layouts.

Smile

-plarnold
[-] The following 4 users Like plarnold's post:
  • fred16850, mod thana, ripley802, Super
(08-24-2017, 01:06 PM)TheArrivaPerson Wrote: Maybe the whole second layer thing is good. Are spirals any good?

Just be sure to have enough risers (the ones that engines can pass under), ascending curved track (essentially a standard curve that is elevated by a molded-on gradual riser), and gradual risers to balance out the descent. Put enough of them all together and you can create some nice layouts using a considerably smaller amount of space with a larger amount of track (curves no less).

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Such as, of course, the ever famous Amtrak Super Spiral set, which from my understanding would be able to just fit in the space you told us about.
[-] The following 2 users Like fred16850's post:
  • Tharazero1, TheArrivaPerson
That set sounds good, I'll try to find one on Ebay. Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2017, 07:31 PM by Super.)
The Amtrak Super Spiral sets are rarer and pretty expensive. It would be a lot easier and cheaper if you just sought out the track pieces yourself. Here is a picture of the Super Spirals parts list that could help. You could replace the rare stations with straight tracks and even add track to make it fit into your design.

[Image: 022.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 4 users Like Super's post:
  • Blueberry'S', fred16850, TheArrivaPerson, Tramp