Plarail EF63 Sound Set

38 Replies, 31650 Views

Does anyone have this set? I recently acquired the sound car as well as the “Asama” unit although it is heavily damaged. The sound car had a bad switch but when I removed it I noticed some other wires disconnected. I have not gotten in to it too much more but was curious is anyone had this, liked the set, etc...

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10048777

[Image: 6_BE8_A347-_B498-4_EEF-9_D25-74_AC3_BFD2788.jpg]

Ha...I didn't even know that these had sound...ha
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • ripley802
I wish I could help you but I’ll say it’s a nice find! I’ve wanted one of these sets since I saw Taskforce2008’s Usui Pass video a while back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • ripley802
I will be trying to repair the one I have of course but would love to ha e one of these sets complete with the box so if anyone sees one, let me know.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Super
Is it me, or are some of those sound effects actually steam ones? Perhaps the one that sounds like a whistle is just meant to be the brakes (or axles). But then, why does it play while in motion?. Also, when it runs, the (simulated) engine sounds more like chuffs at a high speed. Only the "idle" sound is clearly that of an electric (or diesel) loco. Might just be the quality of the soundchip.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • ripley802
Well still no luck in getting the one I have repaired yet. I need to look at it again but I was hoping to find another one to have two maybe running together. I was out bid on the whole set which was complete and basically NIB, it sold for around 7500¥.. Dodgy

I did however when just the sound car this morning, and although it was 2500¥ by it self I think I can use it to help fix the other one. We shall see.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Off The Rails
Go get em sparky Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • ripley802
Ah, geeze.. I won another one. This one was basically the same price but came with the motorized engine and sound engine where the other only had the sound. Hoping I can run them somehow in tandem. The rear coupler on the sound engine is a magnetic coupler which has a switch to it so I may need to rig something up for it to work.
[-] The following 2 users Like ripley802's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super
[Image: laughing-dog-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Magnetic coupler eh? I would imagine that could be fixed easily using the opposite regular couplings..
(12-26-2017, 11:52 AM)Super Wrote: [Image: laughing-dog-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Magnetic coupler eh? I would imagine that could be fixed easily using the opposite regular couplings..

Here is the issue. The coupler has a switch that triggers a sound..