The flying kipper

13 Replies, 13981 Views

Can anyone tell me exactly which cars the flying kipper consists of please?
Thank you!!
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
In the TV series the flying kipper varies in what kind of wagons are pulled. In seasons 1 and 4 both had one utility van at the front. The rest of the trucks were then just single ventilated vans (both types), the LMS ventilated van and a grey BR 25 standard ton brake van. Season 5 did not have a utility van at the front, just the vans and the same brake van previously mentioned.

If you want the items in a TOMY / TrackMaster scale, then it would be best to have 6 troublesome vans and one brake van, all grey.

If you want to make this train out of engine 3 packs you can get a troublesome van from Arthur, Edward, Henry (Plarail, T-03 and TS-03 only) and James (Plarail, T-05 and TS-05 [1st edition, 2012 - 2014]).
As for the brake van, either get it from Stepney or Emily (Plarail, T-36 only)
[-] The following 4 users Like B'Station Official's post:
  • fred16850, mod thana, MuddyPoppins, ripley802
This shows you just how much I know about Thomas characters...I have never heard of the Flying Kipper.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 3 users Like Super's post:
  • mod thana, MuddyPoppins, ripley802
Its the train Henry pulls and how he receives his new firebox. It explains why he looks the way he is now, in episode "The Flying Kipper". He is seen pulling it again in seasons 4 and 5, with Duck colliding into the train from behind (S4) episode "Fish", and Henry being sunk in shallow water (S5) episode "Something in the Air".

The flying kipper does appear later in the CGI seasons too, but who even cares about what came after season 7.

Also side note: in the railway series the vans are all identical and all painted light orange brown, the brake van is still grey though.
Thank you!! I'm gonna go w/the Troublesome vans and a break van...all grey!!
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes MuddyPoppins's post:
  • B'Station Official
I've always thought that the van that was included with the original Henry was supposed to represent The Flying Kipper.
(02-08-2018, 04:06 AM)jdogman Wrote: I've always thought that the van that was included with the original Henry was supposed to represent The Flying Kipper.

For the original 1992 - 2002 Plarail engines also yes. Only Edward, Henry and James had each one troublesome van.

(02-08-2018, 03:55 AM)Muddy Poppins Wrote: Thank you!! I'm gonna go w/the Troublesome vans and a break van...all grey!!

No problem! Smile Happy to help.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2018, 08:54 AM by B'Station Official.)
At some point in the CGI era, they decided to use Troublesome Trucks instead of vans. It makes no sense operationally but it’s an option.

My kids have a couple opening crates with a “fish on ice” decal inside that will fit in the standard Plarail/Trackmaster 1 trucks. We’ve used those a time or two as a Flying Kipper. There are also some TM1-era goods vans marked with a fish logo that might be useful.
The LMS Troublesome vans were seen in seasons 2,3 and 6. The standard troublesome ventilated vans were seen in seasons 4,5 and 7. One utility van only was ever seen with a face in the season 3 episode Oliver Owns Up. The troublesome salt vans were seen in seasons 2,4,6 and 7. The old big fish van, only one had a face, was seen in seasons 2 and 5. The troublesome LNWR vans were seen in seasons 4,5 and 6. The troublesome GWR ventilated vans were seen in seasons 4 and 6.
(02-08-2018, 03:15 AM)BStation Official Wrote: The flying kipper does appear later in the CGI seasons too, but who even cares about what came after season 7.

Probably many, many, many more people than you think, myself included. Can't we at least care about and appreciate the fantastic work that the new writing and music teams have done in the past 5 years to appease older fans and keep the show from becoming a copy-paste/cash cow baby show like it was for so many years before?
Creator of upcoming series "Sudrian Tales"
Amateur voice actor
Still haven't painted FFF's Daisy lol sorry my guy (i promise I'll get that airbrush kit soon)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Miksolo's post:
  • ThomasBlue