Modified Plarail Plasticware Show

8 Replies, 8700 Views

This is a pretty cool show which looks to be about modified Plarail trains and some scenic pieces. There are some awesome modifications and paint jobs on engines and rolling stock. In the first video take a look at a neat Monorail at the 2:42 minute mark and the very cool custom Amazon container cars at the 3:06 and again at the 4:09 minute mark. The second video shows the layout from a cab ride perspective. Do you see anything you like?

[Image: Unticnjtled.jpg][Image: Untippnjtled.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 3 users Like Super's post:
  • mod thana, Off The Rails, ripley802
Good god how many wagons was that Percy pulling and how did it manage it? Uprated motor maybe?
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Nigels's post:
  • mod thana, ripley802, Super
LOL [Image: animated-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif] Anyone care to count the cars?

I had been curious about that too Nigels and....looking at the beginning of the rake, those cars look to be askew like someone was pushing the train from the rear and as the train passed near the middle they became unskewed like someone was pulling the engine off camera...just a guess though as I didn't see him and all these cars in a wide view.

Further investigation reveals that the cars were skewed because there is a powered green coach helping out...so much so its more powerful than Percy thus creating the pushing of those skewed cars (1:10 min mark)

[Image: ttyytitled.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • mod thana
Wow, so much cool stuff there! I suspect I’ll be rewatching these numerous times. One that already stood out to me was a train pulled by a pair of DE10s modified to run short hood forward. The lead engine also appeared to have working headlights. I also caught a glimpse of some small rail switchers that I’d love to know more about.
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • mod thana, Super
I agree with you OTR on the cool cab forward DE10-1690's, they are very well done. I have been trying to study them with pausing of the video to see how they did that as at first I thought they just reversed the polarity of the motors but it was much more. I do have my theories but have some questions that could be answered with close up pictures. Has anyone found the shows site or other videos, pictures or web pages that might have a more detailed look into this some of this great work???

OTR...Are you referring to these little Switcher beauties???

[Image: loiitled.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • mod thana, Off The Rails
(04-09-2018, 03:09 PM)Super Wrote: OTR...Are you referring to these little Switcher beauties???

The one on the far right looks very like those class 06 diesel shunters I've been getting hold of lately, nice little models. There is actually a Lima model which looks almost identical to that one, not sure of the class as I think its more likely to be a continental loco than a UK one, even though they released it here with british rail livery (I know as I had one when a kid lol!)

(04-08-2018, 10:42 PM)Super Wrote: I had been curious about that too Nigels and....looking at the beginning of the rake, those cars look to be askew like someone was pushing the train from the rear and as the train passed near the middle they became unskewed like someone was pulling the engine off camera...just a guess though as I didn't see him and all these cars in a wide view.

Further investigation reveals that the cars were skewed because there is a powered green coach helping out...so much so its more powerful than Percy thus creating the pushing of those skewed cars (1:10 min mark)

[Image: ttyytitled.jpg]

That's just cheating pushing/pulling them, you would have thought they'd have put the powered truck immediately behind Percy as together like that you'd expect them to work even better together...
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2018, 11:46 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
The problem with putting all the power at the head of these really long Plarail/Trackmaster trains is that the cars will start pulling/falling off the rails on the curves in the last third of the train. I had learned that quite a while ago when my Grandson and I would make really long trains. The ideal situation would be to have the lead engine the most powerful and any drive unit within the line of cars would be a little less. This would prevent the skewing of the cars shown in the video and, depending on where in the line the next power unit is placed, assist in preventing the trailing portion from derailing.
(04-09-2018, 03:09 PM)Super Wrote: I agree with you OTR on the cool cab forward DE10-1690's, they are very well done. I have been trying to study them with pausing of the video to see how they did that as at first I thought they just reversed the polarity of the motors but it was much more. I do have my theories but have some questions that could be answered with close up pictures. Has anyone found the shows site or other videos, pictures or web pages that might have a more detailed look into this some of this great work???

OTR...Are you referring to these little Switcher beauties???

[Image: loiitled.jpg]

I wish there was a blog entry and/or photos of the DE10s. It would be interesting to see what went in to modifying them.

And yes, those are the switchers I was talking about. Like Nigels suggested, they’re probably based on some commercial model but I’d like to know more about them. I wonder if they run? I recall seeing similar units in videos by at least one other Plarail fan on YouTube (possibly taskforce2008) but I’ve never seen them run.
Its funny that you mention Taskforce2008 as I think he may have had some of his work displayed at this show. I thought that when I saw this guy sitting in the shed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3usjVUPgkg&t=36s
[Image: qseqitled.jpg][Image: Unwqitled.jpg]

And are these the little Shunters of his you are referring to in this video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlfeQ3oan3E

[Image: Uwwwled.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • mod thana