Just Had To Arrive on Friday the 13th!!

5 Replies, 4568 Views

There was me, package arrived, I opened it and as expected inside were a Hornby 'Gordon' and four (yes four) Gordon's coaches, two normal, two brake coaches, all boxed and brand new for a pretty reasonable price as well.

I was over the moon, until I opened the box and found this;

[Image: IMG_20180413_121259208.jpg]

Yes the metal chassis of the tender not just damaged, but totally shattered into 3 main and many small parts!! I checked the box it was all shipped in as it had looked fine when I opened it, lo and behold on one side there are signs of a crease, and when pressed top to bottom it bowed along the crease. So it appears someone had either trod on, dropped or dropped something on it. But the weird thing is although the outer cardboard box was damaged, the loco polystyrene is fine, the loco cardboard box is fine, the loco is fine, even the tender top apart from a small mark probably caused by one of the shards of metal is fine. Who would believe it.

The following show the level of the destruction a bit better;

[Image: IMG_20180413_191728541.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20180413_191736033.jpg]

Out of all the loco's and rolling stock I've bought this is the first time I've seen anything like this and to be fair the first and only damaged in transit item I've had.

I've spoken with the seller and he has managed to source another brand new blue coloured metal chassis to replace it and will send it to me as soon as he receives it, so hopefully soon all will be back to normal.

As to why? All we can think is it was either metal fatigue or a manufacturers fault, the way its broken is the way a piece of cast iron would if cold and hit sharply, but this is some form of alloy so who knows...

Reminder, next time there's a Friday the 13th don't buy anything for a week before!!!
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Ugh...that's terrible.Sad Very glad it can be replaced, but still...what a bummer!
Very sorry for both you AND Gordon. Sad
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes MuddyPoppins's post:
  • Super
Yes, that is disappointing for sure but so happy that the Seller is helping to make it right. Thats a Seller who is a keeper. Otherwise Gordon looks great.
BTW...I was born on a Friday the 13th so its actually a Good Luck Day for the world contrary to what they would have you believe. Big GrinDodgyBlushSleepy
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
Believe me for me the 13th on its own is a nightmare, I've had quite a few life events that occurred on the the 13th of a month including getting made redundant (and worse) Sad
today is a good day since I don't have to go to work today Smile (scheduled off day).

BTW is the coal tender made out of plastics?
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • Super
The tender top is plastic, the chassis is made of some metal, I'm not sure what as it is pretty heavy, could be a pewter or something maybe. I'm sure part of the reason for this is that the motor is housed in the tender (believe me they do run well) and the extra weight of the chassis avoids having to have extra loose weights in the tender Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super