Locomotive, age 140, to be restored

6 Replies, 6137 Views

A restoration in my home State. Doesn't this look exactly like it was modeled after a Plarail toy train? Which Plarail train do you think of when seeing this?
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l.../34359191/

Locomotive, age 140, to be restored and displayed

[Image: GOB1_VLSMO.2-0.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 4 users Like Super's post:
  • ActionChugger, Chrizzly, fred16850, Off The Rails
That’s very cool! It does remind me of some of the “western” Plarail engines like General Yoshitsune and Benkei. That’s not just coincidence since this engine and the Japanese class 7100 engines were all narrow gauge locomotives constructed by Porter.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
It reminded me of the disney locomotive
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • Super
Looks like the hornby toy story 3 loco to me Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
My first impression was that it resembled the Plarail toy Benkei and Yoshitsune trains more that the actual real train they were modeled after. Sort of a backwards resemblance. Short and stubby like the Plarails although the absence of a cow catcher may be giving me that feeling. I did a little more digging especially of what the Tender would look like....I was surprised to see that the original Tender had a wooden deck with a riveted steel container mounted atop that.

Here is a question....what is the purpose, engineering wise, for the overly large exaggerated funnels on some trains like this one whereas others have different shapes?

They have a FaceBook page with lots of pictures from the engines history, very interesting. https://www.facebook.com/pg/Daniel-B-Har...e_internal

[Image: 980708864_n.jpg]
The really large things on some funnels are spark arrestors. Locomotives that burned wood are more likely to be seen with them and need them so that the ashes wouldn't catch nearby fields on fire.
Modeling the LNER (and some Thomas stuff) in OO Scale.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TrainMan2001's post:
  • Super
Well that makes sense T-Man, I didn't realize or know that. Thanks for the info Smile