4-4-0 Jupiter Wild West Style Steam Loco

12 Replies, 15976 Views

Seems 'old' loco's are in fashion this week, this beauty just arrived, it is a 1975 vintage steam loco sold in the UK by Airfix and apparently manufactured by Bachmann. For a model made 43 years ago it is in incredible condition and looks beautiful Smile

Enjoy!

[Image: IMG_20180530_144955214.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180530_145009083.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180530_145020099_HDR.jpg]
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Nigels's post:
  • Jaytrain1, Off The Rails, Super
I have a few versions of that engine. I have one in red and blue, that, unfortunately, no longer operates. I have another in a B&O livery that is operable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jaytrain1's post:
  • Super
Have you tried looking into why it doesn't work any longer Jay? I notice on the leaflet included that they mention how to change the brushes for example in the motor, it could be they are worn if it has seen a good bit of use...
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2018, 01:08 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
That’s really cool! I didn’t realize that Airfix was still in the railroad business at that point. For that matter, I always presumed that they sold static kits of railroad subjects rather than powered models.

Interesting too that it’s the classic “American” wheel arrangement and apparently based on a US prototype since I had supposed that most 1/76 scale engines would be British.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
(05-30-2018, 10:48 PM)Nigels Wrote: Have you tried looking into why it doesn't work any longer Jay? I notice on the leaflet included that they mention how to change the brushes for example in the motor, it could be they are worn if it has seen a good bit of use...

It has gone through some rough storage conditions, and at one point I tried changing out the tender wheels with those of an IHC 4-4-0 I once had. One of you guys could probably get it working again, but I think it best be replaced...
It has an unusual arrangement for the coal in the Tender. Is that some type of box? Love the rivets. Big Grin
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
It's a weight. As you can imagine, they are very light.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2018, 01:52 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jaytrain1's post:
  • Super
Are the weights removable because it looks like there are hinges on the lid. Also strange that weight would only be put on one side but I guess if the Tender was running low on coal and water the Tenders box would be light. Thanks J-Train.
Whoa...this is a pretty famous engine.

Celebration of completion of the Transcontinental Railroad, May 10, 1869, showing the name Jupiter on the side of the tender

[Image: 69workmen.jpg]
nice one! a bachmann jupiter was one of the my first engines, and its easily one of my favourites. i just love the style of the western ones.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes sunhuntin's post:
  • Super