Homemade remote control James and Gordon

13 Replies, 10439 Views

Hey gang! So I’ve done it, after some fiddling around I managed to come up with two different variations of these trains. One setup is cheap ($10-15) and simple but all you get it one speed forward or backward. The other will cost about double but you get variable speeds on the trigger and you can set the trim on the remote so the train goes on it’s on. In the Gordon I’m using a single 3.7v rechargeable battery, The power switch in the train turns this one on and off since the battery is directly connected. The James is just a 4.5v battery pack made from aaa’s but I did add a switch to this one. I’m still working on an easier way to change out the batteries in both but it works for now. I’m also working on a back unit that I’ll be able to use on different trains without having to modify them. in my mind it’ll be a battery with wires attached that’ll have to be run out of the back coupling hole and do a quick connection to the back control unit and voila. ? here’s a quick video of the going and a few photos https://youtu.be/bAYaxaJR01M

[Image: 214_F5_FC0-3_D51-498_B-_A8_F9-972_CF8_E136_A3.jpg]

[Image: 89_CCA007-5_E9_B-4786-_A976-_E066986042_C3.jpg]

[Image: CCF3_D244-01_BF-4140-889_D-24_C3180_F20_F1.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like dizzysmash's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super
That is fantastic work Dizzy and your son seems to be very interested too. Very neatly done to get all that into those small Tenders. It looks like you have a lot of experience in electronics or do you just like playing around with it as a hobby? Well done sir and thanks for sharing! Smile
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • dizzysmash, Off The Rails
Thanks Super! Yea he loves them ? I’m actually a photographer but I’m a professional tinkerer lol this all came about because once upon a time I needed to control a follow focus on my video camera that was mounted on a crane. I only have some basic electronics knowledge, just enough to play with toys lol.
  • Off The Rails, Super
Great job on this, looking good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Super
Have any other electronic ideas in the works?
Holy cow, those are awesome!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
Thanks guys! You know those thin copper wire led lights? I took a set of those and put it in an extra Connor tender I had, drilled a bunch of holes around it and I call it the starlight car ? here’s a quick photo of that.
[Image: 1_E7_F8_C25-7913-4437-_A499-_E6_E3_D80_E1099.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes dizzysmash's post:
  • Super
That Starlight car is very Kewl and original as I don't think I have ever seen this idea used before. One could even spell out a childs name with the holes. Very imaginative.

Question: I am not sure what "copper wire led lights" look like.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • dizzysmash
Wow, When I said to keep us posted, I didn't expect to see results so quickly! Well done! Big Grin
Collecting without a clue since 2010
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chrizzly's post:
  • dizzysmash
I’m gonna try some letters on the next one and here’s the lights, ended up getting a few boxes for a couple bucks after Christmas
[Image: 5_F517_EA4-2035-44_F4-_A3_BD-_E1_EFE8378441.jpg]
  • ripley802, Super