Time Lapse Layout Build

7 Replies, 6372 Views

I love watching Time Lapse Videos of Layouts being built plus it can give you ides. Can you believe this one has 18 tables?

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • Nigels, Off The Rails
I love that layout and it looks totally feasible for an “average guy” Plarail enthusiast to build. That’s unlike a lot of those massive installations where you would need and good number of builders and some pretty deep pockets to construct it; not to mention a large, public space!

Those rolling tables might get a bit expensive for a home set up but I guess you could always build benchwork like Muddy and Ripley have done!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
One could use the folding banquet tables in place of those rolling tables and use only 9 for a lot less money I suppose. Tables like Ucwepn uses and the one I have just purchased for my new, above floor Layout. I have seen those tables in the video used in other videos from Japan and they look to be narrower than the banquet tables you can get from all the Department stores here in the US which are about 30" wide.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Off The Rails
I agree those Japanese rolling tables seem almost TOO narrow unless they’re set up like the guys in this video have done. I’ve looked at folding banquet tables but they still seemed a little expensive new at places like Sam’s Club. I guess an idea solution would be to find some second hand! I’ll admit to being a total cheapskate but that means more money for trains!

Oh, and also food, clothing, electricity and what not. Blush
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2018, 08:14 PM by Super.)
  • Super
I bought mine at Walmart, 6' x 30" around $38 each and they say Cosco brand on them.

"food, clothing, electricity"   all over rated....trains first and whatever is left can go to those. Big Grin
$38 sounds MUCH more reasonable that the ones I was looking at!

Food, clothing, etc aren’t so much of an issue for me but the rest of the family gets kinda grumpy without them! Big Grin
  • Super
if you want a cheaper version. Go to the hardware store to a buy a piece of ply wood and go to a hardware store to buy the table legs. My only concern with this method is how much weight the plywood can hold.

I too got the folding up banquet tables at a hardware store called Canadian tire (some what like Lowes or Rona in other countries). I wasn't desperate. I waited for the tables to go on sales.

Value Village may have them but it is a hit or a miss.
[-] The following 2 users Like leylandvictory2's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super
@leylandvictory2:
I’ve looked at plywood and lumber for framing, along with precut legs that have metal hardware. It’s definitely “do-able” although the folding tables have the advantage of being portable and storable.

I would most likely use the DIY table for a more permanent layout. I had plans to build an HO layout for the family but my son managed to damage two locomotives yesterday by not being careful and following instructions, so that’s on hold for now.
  • Super