Tomica Wagons in Plarail Form

11 Replies, 8983 Views

This is the contents of the Tomica Hypercity 'Long Cargo Train' #85115 (UK), or 'Super Freight Liner' #70529 (USA)

[Image: image.png]

I was curious as to why I haven't seen the lurid green van or the red caboose anywhere else, but I've just come across them in Plarail form in the April 2009 ' 50th Anniversary C12 Steam Locomotive Arch Bridge and Rail Set', where they're identified on the back of the box as a ReMu5000 (レム5000) refrigerated van, and a WaFu25000 (ワフ25000) brake van.

[Image: image.png]   [Image: image.png]   [Image: image.png]   [Image: image.png]

I would like to know if they've ever appeared in any other set?  An hour spent Googling suggests not. It seems strange to make the mould and then hardly use it.

And another thing, that stone bridge is pretty cool, has it ever appeared anywhere else either?

[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • Finno, Super
Great detective work Dr Chris. I never realized that the green wagon from the freight set was the same mold as the hard to get white refrigeration car. I had thought that the white one was the only one and yes, as far as I know the White one was exclusive only with that C-12 set. In fact I believe that the C-12 50th Anniversary set had some of the most exclusive items in one set. Along with the exclusive, white Refrigeration car is the black Brake Van, the black 90000 Box Car the lime green rural Station and the brown bricked Arched Bridge.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I can’t think of any other sets those came with, unless maybe it was some club exclusive or Expo premium. I would definitely like to find the C12 rolling stock because it is a great looking and pretty rare consist.

Those cabooses/brake vans/security vans are interesting because they’re designed to carry both a crew and some limited freight. It seems like the sort of thing you’d find on a branch line or short line railroad. A bit like the passenger coach/baggage combos that were once common on smaller rail lines in the US.
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • Finno, Super
(11-15-2019, 02:36 AM)Off The Rails Wrote: Those cabooses/brake vans/security vans are interesting because they’re designed to carry both a crew and some limited freight.

And indeed designed to carry a Plakid. I always wondered why the red caboose was empty.

[Image: image.png]   [Image: image.png]   [Image: image.png]

[-] The following 3 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • Finno, Off The Rails, Super
if you having difficulties finding this set, try searching EF 6019
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
(11-14-2019, 04:33 PM)chrisjo Wrote: And another thing, that stone bridge is pretty cool, has it ever appeared anywhere else either?

Agree, that bridge is very cool.
All this talk about the stone bridge has me wondering if I can incorporate mine into the family Christmas layout. Moreover, do I want to risk it getting damaged with dog, cats and kids around to menace the layout?
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • Finno, Super
You are right OTR...the bridge looks much better wrapped up in a storage box in the closet Big Grin Shy Tongue
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • Finno, Off The Rails
(11-16-2019, 03:32 AM)Super Wrote: You are right OTR...the bridge looks much better wrapped up in a storage box in the closet Big Grin Shy Tongue

Touché sir! Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
The ReMu5000 re-appeared December 2012 in the 'Super Trains Collectors - Number 1 Japanese Record Trains Set' :

[Image: 1212-01b.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super